Winter Composting in Northern climates

One major tenet of permaculture is that no organic material leaves your property. It's a waste not, want not philosophy that keeps all the necessary nutrients and soil components available to your plants.

I try to practice this philosophy but every winter, I struggle with composting. This year, I decided to let it go and start again fresh in the spring.

That lasted a few weeks before I couldn't take it anymore and started saving "at least" the eggshells.
I continuously crushed these eggshells until I had a full bucket. I added these specifically to the bed where tomatoes will be planted. Extra calcium = less chance of blossom end rot? We'll find out.

Then I found a way to compost yet again. I saved a bucket on the counter which I emptied into a 5 gallon pail on the deck. This kept the compost cool and away from critters.

Then on warm days, I would go bury the compost. This is no small feat in northern climates and luckily there were some warm and snow-free spells that allowed for complete and adequate burial.

There's really no good reason not to compost in the winter. Sure it's harder and can get messier and smellier....but it's still worth doing. The health of the soil is related to the health of everything - especially ourselves.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...