Slimmer - The New Mediterranean Way to Lose Weight

Sunday, May 6, 2012

When we think of French or Italian people, we mostly think of gregarious, healthy people. People that eat fresh food and walk everywhere. I love that image. But according to Harry Papas, that's they way the Mediterranean used to be.

Big processed food companies have made big profits in the US and overseas, so now the world of obesity, metabolic syndrome, and other lifestyle diseases are a global phenomena.

Harry wrote Slimmer - The new Mediterranean way to lose weight for the people in his home country of Greece. It became a bestseller. Now it's available in the US.

I had a chance to review an advanced copy. Having read a ton of health/fitness books, I have pretty much heard it all, but I'm always looking for something new.

Slimmer starts out with an overview of the clinical data surrounding the Mediterranean lifestyle and which characteristics are most important for health. I agree with all aspects of this part of the book and found the emphasis on the "slower" lifestyle, noticing the small things and enjoying your time on this Earth as the most important aspects of this book.

It's something that isn't discussed much in health/fitness books, but is ultimately as important as eating right and exercising.

The rest of the book is divided into a menu plan and a recipe section. The menu plan is easy enough to follow, but I would say it's the least important part of the book (at least for me.)

Where this book shines is as a cookbook. The recipe section is fantastic. The meals are made from whole foods, are SUPER easy to make, and include almost every type of dinner recipe imaginable (using Mediterranean ingredients of course.)

The recipes will probably remind you of things your mom or grandma used to make. Good, hearty meals full of lean protein and vegetables. Soups, casseroles, roasted meats. Yummy stuff that is surprisingly easy to make.

I only wish there were pictures of at least some of the recipes. The cover is beautiful, and I can only imagine how fantastic all of the different tomato and basil pictures would come out.

All-in-all, it's a good book about improving your health and lifestyle with tips that are easy to follow.

*I received a complimentary book for review purposes. No compensation was received and all opinions expressed are my own.

1 comments:

Jen said...

Hi Angela,

I also received an advance readers' copy of the book Slimmer and loved it, and also thought the book lacked pictures. It's just as much a cookbook as anything. I have started a blog of some the book's recipes (www.slimmerkitchen.com) in Cycle A as described in the book. My food photography is slowly improving.

I wanted to let you know that I included your review and a link to this page. Hope that's okay with you (www.slimmerkitchen.com/press/).

I've enjoyed reading through your blog, including the part about making money from it. Thanks for sharing,

All the best,

Jen

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela