Unjunk Your Junk Food - Book Review

Grocery shopping with me is both embarrassing and exhausting. No matter what I'm looking to buy, I read the labels on every option and more often than not, end up walking away and not purchasing anything. When my kids make requests, I read them the labels and explain why I won't be buying it. I clog the aisle as I read each option. I touch every box....

What am I searching for? MSG, partially hydrogenated oils, sugar, high fructose corn syrup, preservatives, dyes, artificial flavors...  The list is extensive. When I first picked up Unjunk Your Junk Food, I expected it to be a cookbook with alternative recipes to your favorite "splurges."

But instead, it was a look into my grocery world - each product side-by-side, ingredients in plain sight. It was everything I do at the store, minus standing there with the freezer door open and people staring at you.

The book reviews why we should choose certain ingredients over others and even gives a list of the main "icky" ingredients. Among the list are "The Scary Seven." They include HCFS, Trans-Fats, MSG (in all its names!), Artificial flavors, artificial colors, artificial sweeteners, and preservatives.

I looked through the book fervently because I'm always looking to improve on our eating habits. I am beyond thrilled when I can come up with a mental list of  "safe brands" that I can pick up without having to check their labels every time (note - I still check periodically to be sure things haven't changed.)

I was excited to see my usual brand of ice cream listed on the naturally savvy approved list. But I was also sad to see all the yummy alternatives that are not in my regular stores. I even did a product locator on a few items only to find them in urban co-ops and my beloved (but oh so far away) Whole Foods.

Even still, I was glad to know that there are clean versions of microwave popcorn (teflon, preservative and trans-fat free!) and nut butter cups. I may just have to make a trip to Whole Foods this summer and stock up on those goodies.

But even if I never make it to Whole Foods to buy a cleaner almond joy or better microwave popcorn, knowing that a better version exists will keep me from buying the junkier ones available at regular stores.

If you have a hard time deciphering labels, and you like the "eat this, not that" format, then you will love this book and learn a lot. If you're a clean eater (read: grocery stalker!) like me, then you'll appreciate knowing that alternatives exist! Ideally, no junk food would make it in your house. But with kids and husbands - sometimes you have to bend the rules. I like knowing that there are options.

Want to learn more about clean eating: Like Naturally Savvy on Facebook or Follow them on Twitter. You can even win great prizes
.



*I received a complimentary copy of Unjunk Your Junk Food for review purposes. All opinions expressed are my own.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...