Square Foot Gardening - Getting Started

This year, I'm going to use the Square Foot Gardening method in our raised beds. This winter, I read about the efficiency of Square foot gardening and came up with a plan. You can read about that here.

Now it's finally time to execute that plan...at least partially. It's time to plant Swiss chard, peas, and lettuces. The rest of the vegetables will have to wait until the danger of frost passes (4 more weeks!)

If you want to get started in square foot gardening, I recommend you grab a paper and pencil and sketch out what you want and where you'd like each plant. Then you can go online and use a bunch of free tools to help you design exactly what you want.

These are my plans:


I laminated them so I could take them outside without them getting ripped, dirty, or blowing away. Two of my beds contain permanent residents (blueberries, raspberries and asparagus,) so they never change. And one bed will always be all tomatoes. Yummy!

So I really only need a plan for the two rotating beds (tomatoes and all veggies.)

The first thing we did was get out tools in order.

We used:

  • Thread
  • Tape
  • Scissors
  • Seeds
  • Yard Stick
I sectioned the garden into 12x12 squares by running thread across every side of the garden. You can see the intersection here:


I used green sewing thread so it's almost invisible to the camera. In the future, I will use twine and staple them onto the boxes. Using tape was a very temporary idea - and they will most likely become unstuck and fall off as soon as it rains tomorrow. So I'll be remeasuring again in 2 weeks when it's time to plant beets and radishes. Then 2 weeks later when the rest of the garden goes in. Sheesh

Having the squares exactly where they belonged was so nice for planting. And I'm excited to see how it all looks when the squares come alive. 


I'm off to plant some leeks in an upcycled indoor greenhouse I made out of an egg carton and bread box. I'll post the results as they start growing.



1 comments:

Adelina Priddis said...

stopping by from UBP. You said asparagus...any simple instructions on how to grow it? I planted it last year, not knowing it takes a couple years to grow, but I haven't found any good tutorials online for how to take care of it.
Thanks!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...