Keeping up with the MapMyFitness Quaker Challenge





A few weeks ago, I committed to joining the MapMyFitness Quaker Challenge. My goal was to add at least one active (mostly outdoor) activity with my children each day.

I wanted to add this goal for two reasons. First, my kids and I really need to get outside more. Second, I really needed to add more activity to my day. I do head to the gym almost every day, but the rest of my day is pretty benign. Washing dishes, playing barbies, waiting at swimming lessons, and my other mom duties aren't especially active.


And so the challenge began. I failed on the first day. I had planned for us to walk to the park and swing. It was a terribly cold day and I made every excuse why we would go "later." Soon it was dark outside and the day was over.

Re-reading my initial pledge to be more active reminded me of why this is so important and I hit the next few days with a renewed vigor.

We walked through the forest, crushing ice and following tracks the next day. I was freezing and annoyed with being outside.

Over the next 2 weeks, we walked around the neighborhood, threw snow at each other, gathered wood to build a new garden plot, and played at the park a ton.

The cold was majorly annoying, but being outside so much had a very positive effect on my mood and energy. I even started pulling out some of my spring wardrobe. I just felt so much more alive and full of energy.

It even had an effect on my children. They weren't as whiney and "bored." They fought less and played more together when we got back in the house.

I'm going to stick it out for the next 2 weeks and try to make this a regular habit for the rest of the winter. Winter is my toughest season and if I can stay more active this winter, I will be really proud.

And it will be a fantastic transition into spring and summer when you can't keep me inside!
February is National Heart Health month.

Even if it’s only 5 more minutes a day, what extra step will you take to stay fit?
For your chance to win $750 complete these two steps:
1.Share the challenge with your friends
2.Tell us that you’ve invited your friends to join the challenge AND share the extra step you’ll take to stay fit below

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Quaker Oats Company. The opinions and text are all mine. Official Sweepstakes Rules.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...