How to make Hemp Milk - a tasty dairy alternative??

Always on the search for healthy post-workout protein alternatives, I came across a recipe for Hemp milk. Before we go any further, yes hemp seeds come from the same plant that makes "other" hemp products, but no the seeds do not contain any mind altering properties.

They are just a nutty omega-3, GLA, and protein rich food that happens to taste pretty good. I like to toss them into my yogurt, oatmeal, or muesli.

But even though I eat yogurt, I'm not a huge fan of dairy overall and I rarely consume it- for all sorts of ethical and health reasons. It's messy - let's not go there.

Guess what most protein shakes are made of? Dairy - well, dehydrated/oxidized whey..... *sighs.* It's not that I'm opposed to the occasional protein shake made from whey (as long it's free of sugar, artificial sweeteners, preservatives, you get the idea.)

Still, I have been actively searching for a natural protein rich (easily digestible) whole foods alternative. I experimented with homemade bone broths, actual liquid whey left over from when I make homemade Greek yogurt, and almond milk.

All were okay, but kind of gross in their own ways. After a hard workout, I just don't want to chug chicken broth and although liquid whey blended into a smoothie was always yummy, I don't make enough yogurt to keep it in stock.

Enter in the Hemp Milk. I had the seeds so why not give it a shot.

Here's what you do. Measure out 1/2 cup of Hemp seeds:


See that doesn't look like Marijuana does it?

Add 1 1/2 cups water, 1 splash of vanilla (about 1 tsp), I very light sprinkle of sea salt, and a drizzle of honey (less than 1 tbsp) and the hemp seeds all into your blender.

Holy Gross!! That looks horrid! But don't let this discourage you. It's brownish from the vanilla....

Blend it up!
It's looking more and more like "milk" already.... beware - it foams and might escape the blender....

Blend on high for about 2 minutes. Then pour it into a glass. Easy peasy...
It tastes pretty good. A lot like a malted milk. Way better than soymilk and about on par with almond milk, but way less "watery." 

How does it stack up nutritionally? This recipe made 2 full glasses of "milk." My glasses hold 10oz, so there's about 8oz in each glass. Anyway...in each glass there was a whopping 10grams of protein plus a bunch of fiber, minerals, vitamins, and of course GLA and omega-3 fatty acids. All with no preservatives and just a smidge of honey (which you could absolutely omit - it's you're call.)

This is some pretty nutrient rich milk. Even though I'd put in a taste category similar to almond milk, it has way more nutrients. I love almonds, but almond milk is mostly water. 

The best non-dairy milk (hands down) is coconut milk, but it's a really poor source of protein. Great for medium chain saturated fats and  pure yumminess, but lacking in post-workout necessities.

You can use any of the non-dairy milks in cooking (pancakes, muffins, smoothies, "ice creams" or cream sauces. You can always add cocoa powder and a bit more honey if you wanted to make "chocolate milk."

Even if you eat dairy (like I do,) it's always nice to have choices. Variety is the spice of life!

2 comments:

Becca said...

Ooh I really want to try this out. I have only found one kind of soy milk I can tolerate to drink so far.

Anonymous said...

It looks yummy!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...