What if you hate exercise?

You know it's good for you, and every doctor in the world will tell you that you should  exercise every single day. But what if you hate exercise? 

So many of my friends look at me like I'm a freak when I declare that I looove exercise. And believe it or not - they usually ask me if I'm anorexic. Nice!

Yes, I'm a thin person and yes I really do like to exercise. But it's not because I have an obsession with being thin or some other mental illness. (And for the record, I eat a ton!)

I like to exercise because I look at it from a different perspective. 

Blah, blah, blah - here comes the healthy mumbo jumbo. Yes, I like to exercise because I am obsessed with health. Exercising makes me feel better. I need it to feel better. I love knowing that I could run and run and run and run if I had to.

I like knowing that I could scale a wall, climb a tree, hoist my body up, crawl, scratch, kick, fight, and gnaw my way out of any situation. I also enjoy the mental clarity and balance. You can not buy these things.

But beyond the health - it's just plain fun. What?!??!? Yes, exercise is fun. Walking, riding bike, surfing, kayaking, swimming, jumping, playing games, hiking, skiing, sledding, dancing, yoga, kickboxing - all good stuff!

Actually, all really great stuff. I love that type of exercise.

But as a naturally thin person (and a Vata to boot!!) I have to watch it with all the fun exercise. Or I become quite skeletal. And I've seen what happens to older ladies with my body build - it's called osteoporosis.

So that's where the "non-fun exercise" comes in. For the last 15 months, I've been exercising in the "un-fun" world of lifting weights and endurance intervals.

This is the sweaty, grunty, holy crap this hurts, when is it going to end? - kind of exercise. I don't like it anymore than anyone else does. But I still do it. And if I don't my body feels like crap and I make myself do it.

October brought some horrible changes in my life and a lot of stress. In the thick of it, wanted to give up. One day,  I walked out of the gym after only 10 minutes of an intense interval circuit. I wanted to quit. I quit for 4 days - while my mind tried to deal with the trauma.

Then I dragged myself back into the gym and I worked out (hard) until I cried. It was painful. It was horrible. But it was so healing. And it's a reminder that no matter what happens, you have to do what's right. You have to stick to your goals. And you need to push on.

So if you're one of the people out there that "hates" exercise, get up and do it! Start slow, but just start! You may not lose a ton of weight - but who cares. You should feel better. Your life should improve. And that's all that matters anyway.

1 comments:

Sam Smith said...

Taking prohormones really helps me see results and motivates me to keep on working out.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...