Should you mow down your Fall Raspberries to get a better crop??

This year, we moved all of our berries into their new "permanent" homes and I was very worried about how many berries we'd actually get. It was very slow in the summer, but to my surprise, we were pulling handfuls of berries out every single day until the end of October.

That got me thinking - did we have such a great fall harvest because there were very little to harvest in the summer? Or was it the fish fertilizer I had been using?

Most gardening websites and books recommend that you sacrifice the summer crop to get a robust harvest in the fall. I've never done that because I like having berries from May - October and I would miss the summer raspberries.

But I have a separate patch of summer raspberries that have been producing quite well, so I think it might be time to give it a test.

This is the way I will manage our fall berries if we are able to build the orchard we want, so why not give it a try now?

I'm so scared! Cutting down all my berries is the scariest thing. It's even scary waiting for new shoots to show up in the spring. You just never know what's going to happen.

The more I think about it, the more I think I might really do it. Maybe it's my lack of garden activity lately - I just want to get there and work - or maybe because I have berries on the brain. Either way, I'll post a picture of my chopped garden if I decide to go for it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've done this with mixed results. It all depends on how wet your summer is - if it's so wet that the bees can't pollinate then you will lose your entire fall crop. The summer crop is like a hedge against loss. But then again you risk the bigger crop. Good luck.

Mike said...

Don't do it!!!

A. E. said...

Good luck!:)
A.E.
Alpine Dermatology

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...