Hero Moms - Do you know one?

Every mom is a hero, right? In my opinion, if your kids are healthy and mostly happy, then you are a world-class hero. Heck, sometimes even waking up after a difficult night of "motherhood" makes you a hero.

But what about real heroes? You know - the type that Save people. Like doctors, fire fighters, and soldiers. I'm just an ordinary mom, but I have been a life saving hero exactly once.

Three years ago we had a park play date with friends. We were going to this huge, amazing park for the first time. Apparently, we weren't the only ones that thought it was amazing because a private school brought all of their 5th graders on a field trip to the park that same day.

Since my kids were 2 and 4, I tried diligently to keep them on the kiddie side of the park. Away from the big 5th graders. But my son just kept trying to run off into the bigger area.

Always on top of where they were (I used to be quite the helicopter mom, just saying) I grabbed my daughter and followed him under the equipment to the big slides. And that's when I sensed a problem.

With my son just ahead of me and out of sight - I saw an 11 year-old girl hanging from the bottom of the play structure. Her eyes were bulging from her face and a belt was wrapped tightly around her neck; the other end was fastened through the holes of the floor above. Her friends were gathered around.

I instantly put my daughter on the ground and tried to get the belt loose from her neck. It was too tight from her weight. So I grabbed her and lifted her above my chest. I somehow manage to support her weight on my upper body and used my hands to remove the belt. Her friends were talking - telling me they told her not to do it, it wasn't their idea, etc.

I think this is a good time to point out that I am about the size of an average 5th or 6th grader. I'm small. And when I let her down, I realized that she was actually bigger than me. She looked at me with absolute fear. Then they all ran off. And I was in shock that I had lifted and held her all on my own.

I gathered up my children and went to find the field trip chaperones. They were not in the park. They were about a football field's length away, smoking down by the river. I told them what had happened and they confronted the girl.

Apparently, her brother had taught her about "choking" over the weekend and she wanted to show her friends. All I could think was "holy crap, what if my son had obeyed me that day?" What if he hadn't run over to the big side of the park?

She most likely would have died.  So I guess I was a hero. It wasn't on purpose. I just acted on instinct and even though these were the days when I couldn't even do "girl" pushups, I lifted/freed someone larger than me and saved their life. Never underestimate what you can really do.

Perhaps you know a heroic mom or see one when you look in the mirror. Share your story and be entered for a chance to win $2,500 cash from Allstate. Plus four runner-ups will receive a $100 Visa Gift Card. *The five finalists will be chosen from the Entries receiving the most votes.  

 

One of the most important things any mom can do is purchase life insurance. Allstate has been helping to protect families’ futures with a range of life insurance products for over 50 years. To get a quote visit allstate.com/life

Disclosure: This is post is Sponsored by Allstate. The opinions expressed here are strictly my own. Official Contest Rules


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...