Gratitude - A fundamental key to finding yourself

Growing up, I wasn't very happy with my life. I grew up in a very poor neighborhood, surrounded by burn-outs and losers.  My home was less than a block away from two very active bars, so drunkards and stoners walked past my house every day.

Our home was burglarized and vandalized. Some of our friends were horribly abused. Misery was everywhere.

But then something amazing happened. I went to my first summer camp and realized life could be good. Really good. The world was filled with nature and life. There were people that had goals, dreams, and good intentions.

I never stopped going to summer camps after that. And I never stopped dreaming of a life away from the small little town filled with gloom.

I left home the day after I turned 17 and never looked back. I was now part of the good life. I worked hard and eventually settled into a secure suburban life. But all around me, women were complaining.

They had too much to clean, not enough time, not enough this or that. I've seen how bad life can really be, and to be honest it wasn't my own life that was bad. I have seen how people really live. And I know what suffering looks like.

I decided to look at the blessings in my life instead of the troubles. Yes, I have loads and loads of laundry to wash every week. But I am so grateful that I can afford to buy my children clothes.

And I'm so grateful that they are healthy enough to run around outside and strew mud throughout my house! I'm so grateful that they are even here!


Having an attitude of gratitude has helped me to grow as a person and really find what matters in life. And I hope it can help you as well.

Remember the saying; You are what you eat? It's true. And so is the saying; You are what you think.If you reflect on the things you are grateful for, you will enjoy them more.

And the more you surround yourself with positive things (people, thoughts, plans) the happier your life will be.

Next time you are scraping food off of dirty dishes - remember how wonderful it is that your family had the chance to eat a healthy meal.

Find the blessings in your life, reflect on them, and enjoy the life you've been given.

I'm curious to know: What has inspired you to grow as a person? By replying you will be entered to win one of two prizes! First Prize: $150 to a Local Spa, plus $50 Gift Certificate to the CerraBoutique. Second Prize: One of Five $100 Gift Certificate to the CerraBoutique.

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Cerra. The opinions and text are all mine. Official Contest Rules.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...