Scary School by Derek the Ghost

To keep boys interested in reading, it's important to choose books with topics that interest them. We recently read Scary School by Derek the Ghost and absolutely loved it!

It's creepy and hilarious and just good fun. Both of my children (girl 5, boy 7)  love it and have laughed every time we read a new chapter.  Because a "ghost" is narrating the story, my son was immediately interested. He couldn't wait to hear about the Scary school.

And I suppose you could call the school "scary," but it's much more funny than scary. My favorite part is the references to the Three Rachels - one spelled with an "e", one spelled with a "y", and one spelled "Frank", but pronounced Rachel. It pops up randomly through the book and is just hilarious.

They also loved that the principal could crush heads, the T-rex wore a dress and matching bonnet, and that pretty much every teacher eats the students.

We almost couldn't finish the book when Frank N. Stein had created a rude monster that took someone's cell phone and ran through movie theaters talking on the phone and stirring up angry mobs. They couldn't stop laughing long enough for me to finish reading!

My kids are old enough to get these kind of jokes and think they're great. It's great for 2nd grade and older kids that can read on their own, but it was also great for a parent to read to their children.

I enjoyed the humor and the creepy events that occurred at the school just as much, and maybe more than my kids. It's also organized nicely, into easy chapters that you can stop and pick up without missing big chunks of the story.

We really liked this book and can't wait to read more in the series!

*I received a complimentary copy of Scary School by Derek the Ghost for review purposes. All opinions expressed are my own.

1 comments:

Derek the Ghost said...

Awesome review! And thanks for posting on Amazon! - Derek the Ghost

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...