The Best $4 I've ever spent

Towards the end of Spring and late fall, plants get clearanced down to almost nothing. Sometimes, people and stores even give them away for FREE!

I have a hard time resisting low cost or free plants, but I especially have a hard time resisting berries. Last spring, I was at Lowes when I noticed their raspberry plants were on clearance.

I have 2 large red raspberry patches (plus 2 strawberry patches, 4 blueberry bushes, 1 golden raspberry and 1 black raspberry patch) but this was a new variety and it was just under $4.

The plant looked healthy and I just couldn't leave it in the store. So I bought my first Latham raspberry bush. If you've seen my yard, then you know I have overrun the entire sunny spot with as many plants as possible and I have no room for additional plants.

So I did what I have been doing for years, and I planted the bush along the line of our forest. I have a lot of forest berries and they struggle to compete with the trees. Tree roots are greedy and they take a lion's share of the water, nutrients, and even sun.

I thought it wouldn't make it, but I was wrong! With the addition of copious seaweed and fish emulsions, the plant has thrived and even though it is still very young and is in constant competition with the forest, I have been picking about 1/2 a handful of berries every day for the last 2 weeks.

And they were great! Latham berries are sweet and yummy.

I thought I had wasted $4 and it turned out to be a great investment.

1 comments:

Midnite Skys said...

I never know how much I get off my raspberry bush cause I eat while picking and most of the time bring in very little LOL!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...