Growing at the Speed of Life

If the weather hasn't piqued your interest in gardening, maybe reading a few good gardening books might? I just finished reading Growing At The Speed of Life by Graham Kerr and would recommend it to anyone interested in gardening.

The book starts out sharing details of how the author and his wife began gardening. Graham Kerr states that he's "cooked just about everything that grows - but never grown a thing [he's] cooked." So he tells his story from chef to gardener. It's a fun and informative section, especially if you're a new gardener.

My favorite part of the book is the middle - all about plants and recipes. I love reading through advice, tips, and plant details. Each plant's section contains recipes specific to that plant. Gotta love it.

 Every time I got to an exciting one (lemon tree, artichoke, etc.) I'd get so jazzed, and then I'd read the growing zone... and remember why they are so exciting to me in the first place.

Growing zone 4 may have it's limitations, but at least we can grow berries. And lots of them.

This is a fun book. It's informative and the writing style is approachable. Mr. Kerr had plenty of successes and also failures. It's good to read both and learn from them.

If you're a new gardener, this book is good all around. If you're experienced, buy it for the camaraderie (everyone loves to swap garden stories), the plant tips, and the recipes.

*I received a complimentary copy of this book for review purposes. All opinion expressed are my own.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have spring fever too!!

Opal Stevens said...

Hey, I'm so glad I found your blog :)! Hope you can check out mine sometime!

http://opalstevens.blogspot.com

purango said...

It sounds like a great book. I would love to grow some vegetables. Having fresh vegetables would be great. garrettsambo@aol.com

purango said...

It sounds like a great book. I would love to plant some vegetables. It would be great to have fresh vegetables. garrettsambo@aol.com

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...