The Farmer's Walk - an Exercise You May Want to Consider

In my opinion, the best exercises are those that improve your ability to move in everyday life. In a lot of ways, they mimic work that people used to do.

I can't tell you how angry I get whenever I perform Axe Chops or similar exercises. While I think they are effective (and so I continue to do them), I hate that they are unproductive.  I could be getting the same work out and doing something. I could really be chopping wood.

Well, the Farmer's Walk is one of those exercises. Extremely practical to real-life activity, and annoyingly unproductive. But effective for building strength and endurance.  Check out this video to see how it's done:


Looks easy enough, right? Pile on the weight and tell me what you think.

I'll tell you what I think!

It reminds me of gardening. Carrying heavy buckets of water, mud, or plants. Carrying tools back and forth from the shed to the garden. It's crap work and it makes you a lot stronger. I literally do this all summer long. I even do this lugging both of my kids' bikes when they've tired blocks from home. Or when I lug a zillion toys, towels, and clothes to the pool.

But now I'm doing it in the gym. With the most weight I have. And I realize I need more weights! This is just one of the many moves that's helping me get stronger everyday - and will make it easier for me to garden, schlep bikes, and pool toys all summer long. Wahoo! Real life benefit!

1 comments:

Midnite Skys said...

isn't that the truth and had to tell my bosses about a woman that we interviewed that just cause she was a mom she could be strong... I said with 2 young ones, she use to carrying a ton of stuff, for the baby and plus keeping a little one in tow.... yea she is strong...... (they worried she could not lift the 20 pounds.... )

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...