Acting out "The Lord of the Rings"

Seeing everything again - through new eyes - is one of the fun parts of parenthood.

I love it when we watch movies with our kids and I hear them laugh at all the right spots. Old, tired jokes are new to them. And they're funny all over again.

We recently started watching "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy with our kids. Years ago, they were some of my favorite movies. And since my kids love legends, magical stories, and adventures, we thought it was time to let them watch.

It's been so long since I've watched them, that they're almost new to me. But I'm no movie novice. Special effects and stunts have lost some of their "wow." It's all new to our children, so it's been interesting to see the movie through their eyes.

My kids are 5 and 6. Too young for Lord of the Rings, you say? I disagree. They love the story line. Little hobbits bravely saving the world - fighting evil Orcs and meeting mystical creatures.

And they were just like I was when I watched the first movie - what? It can't end here....

They are anxiously awaiting the second movie,hoping that Mary and Pippin will be rescued. Hoping Frodo can throw the ring into the fire.

In the meantime are playing Lord of The Rings all over the house. They take turns being orcs and hobbits. They guard the ring. They run. They fight. Did I mention the running? There's a lot of running.

Maybe you think I'm a horrible parent for letting them watch such a violent movie? Or for letting them watch a "magical" movie? Or just for letting them stay up late watching a 3 hour long movie? That's okay. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm a horrible parent for a lot of reasons, but not for letting them be part of the real  (and adult) world.

Nobody had nightmares. Nobody became violent. But we were all able to share in something together. 3 hours of family time filled with mystery, drama, and popcorn.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...