Would you have Quit?

It's no secret that I am on a workout mission. I try hard not to miss a workout, and for the most part I don't. But when is it okay to quit?

Last week, our family was horrendously sick. My children were up coughing all night, and I didn't get much sleep. Sleep isn't something I give up willingly, and when I miss it, things go south pretty quickly. I started to feel extra stressed, and things started to get fuzzy.

Before I knew it I couldn't see out of my right eye. So what did I do? Like any mom, I kept going. I kept cooking, cleaning, fighting over homework, reading bedtime stories. Same old, same old. Just painfully slow, and with only one eye. As you may have guessed, my head also ached like crazy.

Upon reading my fitness journal, my sister said, "whoa, you had a migraine." That I did. The second in my life - again involving blindness and a head pain I can't explain. Okay, but why was she reading it in my fitness journal?

Because I keep a log of every exercise I do. How I feel. And keep notes on my performance. The day of the migraine, I ran on the treadmill. The day after, I did weight training.

The morning after the migraine, I woke up to find my eye practically drooping out of its socket. It was swollen and sensitive. My head ached and I felt like my brains were sloshing around.

It hurt to bend over. I was like death on wheels. But still I worked out. I pushed myself even further (as I do every workout) until I puked. I stopped myself and swallowed it. All of it! I pushed through my set and puked again. This time I had to catch it in my hands.

Eggs, Spinach, and Feta. So yummy on the way down. So yuck-o on the way up. All the while I kept going.

At one point, I looked at myself in the mirror and thought "what the hell?!!??" I looked like Rizzo the Rat! What was I doing working out this hard? Not quitting!! I started this journey and I'm going to finish it.

I am going to finish what I started! And that's my new motto - "Finish What You Started!"  With health, with marriage, with everything! But I couldn't help wondering if other, rational, people might have quit. What would you have done?

Omg, can you imagine a time machine blender?!

2 comments:

Shelly livin well said...

It sounds like you pretty much have your stuff together as far as what you want and what you will do to get it. I am just starting on my new weight loss/exercise journey and you are an inspiration. I do think that there is a point when your body gives you a sign that you need to slow down, you wouldn't be quitting if you took a day to heal that being said I do admire your never quit adittude and I only hope someday to be as comitted as you! That is something I am working on. Keep up the great work and I hope you are feeling better!

Jessica-MomForHim said...

I know you love to exercise, but you are an extremely fit and healthy person already. Please listen to your body. If you are "death on wheels" as you put it, your body needs to rest, even if it is just for one day to recover. Resting for one day will not hurt your body, your regimen or your fitness goals. Pushing yourself will.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...