I want to be on The Biggest Loser!

"I want to be on The Biggest Loser!" That's what my son yelled to me during last week's episode. Touché! In all reality, I couldn't agree more. But The Biggest Loser is a touchy topic in my home. It is my all time favorite show, but up until last week my children were banned from watching it.

It used to be the only show I watched on television and since it aired at 7pm, I let my kids watch it with me. I didn't think twice when they'd announce to people that "soda makes you fat" and "you shouldn't eat THAT!" It was kind of cute. And after all, they were right.

But a little while back, my daughter jumped on our bathroom scale and said "mom, how much did I lose?" And that was the beginning of the end. My kids see me workout and they know I pay attention to what I eat. No mindless ice cream binges here. But I NEVER mention weight or say I need to lose anything.

I never say "I'm fat" or complain about body issues. It's not that I don't have any. I just internalize. But she had to be getting it somewhere. When she promptly pointed out "Ada" at the grocery store, the light bulb went off.

She had seen The Biggest Loser contestants hop on the scale and see how much they lose every single week. It's one of the best parts of the show. But it was obviously sending a creepy message.

So we went over the basics:

  • It's not about being thin; it's about being healthy!
  • Calories are energy and we need energy to live and grow.
  • Exercise is fun and important but it's not about losing weight.


Then I secretly watched The Biggest Loser late in the night when they had already gone to bed. Gotta love Tivo! They never saw last season's finale and they had never seen any of this seasons new contestants or trainers.

But last week, I just wanted to watch TBL at it's regular time. I thought maybe my kids had lost interest, but they hadn't. They jumped right on the couch when it started.

They got super excited during their favorite part - The Challenges. That's when my son yelled that he wanted to be on The Biggest Loser.

He went on to say that he would kick all their butts. I was so proud. That's one of the reasons I'd like to be on the show as well. To be the winner. I'd also like the all-day workouts, and free access to all organic food.

For years, I have filled out sweepstakes to "train with Bob or Jillian." How awesome, right? But after a bit of thought, I don't know that it would be all that awesome. I imagined myself cooking cool new vegan dishes with Bob, then doing some Pilates and maybe going for a swim or a hike in the mountains.

The reality is: Bob and Jillian would take one look at me and kick my butt all over the place. Why? Because I'm already fairly fit. I have no "weight" to lose and they'd want to force me to take it up another level. They'd want to make me puke. Ugh.

I think I'll refocus my sweepstakes entries on Italian getaways and Alaskan cruises. No puking required.

2 comments:

Competition said...

This is nice post.I like it.

Alex said...

LOL XD I used to watch this show ALL THE TIME. Lately, though, I've been too busy to catch up on any of the episodes. I have been doing some workouts from http://www.mytrainerbob.com/ I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and these workouts are helping me keep my stamina :) Great post! Thanks for sharing!

Alex

Psst: Come check out my charity blog ;-) Feedback much appreciated! http://www.gizmoro.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...