How to Make Your Own X-Large Cat Litter Box

There comes a time in every cat owner's life when your little baby goes from this:



To This:


And when that happens, you're bound to need a bigger litter box. If you're like me, you've searched the internet and all the stores looking for an XL litter box. The truth is, most XL litter boxes are just barely bigger than a normal litter box. And all of them are expensive. Yes, $19-$40 may not be all that much for a litter box but for what it is (plastic box)... it's outrageous.

So why not make your own. There are plenty of videos on youtube showing how to make a litter an enclosed litterbox using a large Rubbermaid storage container. But for anyone that has to actually clean a litter box, you know that enclosed boxes have "issues." Plus, there are aesthetic reasons why you may not want and enclosed behemoth.

And I'm guessing you want it to be simple, right? Me too. When our kitty started to outgrow her litter box, I went on the hunt and came up with the easiest (and in my opinion, best) solution.

Here it is:

For $3.97, I bought this storage box (that also comes with a lid) in the storage section at Target. It's a full 4 inches longer and 3 inches wider than the largest box I could find in the stores (or online!) and it cost a whole lot less!

Is it beautiful? No. But it's also not horrendous. It's also super easy to clean. Before you cut up one of your Rubbermaid containers or lay out big bucks for an XL litter box, check out the storage area in your local Big Box store. The measurements are usually printed right on the label. Easy peasy.

7 comments:

mitch1066 said...

Good for you!My vet told me i should have at least 1 tray each for my 3 furballs lol.Instead i have 1 large tote that is half covered to keep in some of the dust and they all use it fine:)

mitch1066@gmail.com

Shellie & Brutus said...

I have 8 cats, and I do this too! It's economical, so when the plastic gets nasty from them sratching into it, I just toss it out and get another one.

blueviolet said...

My daughter did something very similar for her cats, and it works great!

April said...

That's the same thing we use! Our cat is a monster - well over 20 pounds!

Please stop by our blog hop!
Manic Monday Mixer

Anonymous said...

Such a cute cat. I like the idea of a cheaper litter box

Life as Leah said...

We definitely had to do the same thing for our maine coon...a regular cat box just doesn't cut it!!!

Selina Dorsey said...

These are great! I have two large male cats and they spray the back of the box; the high rear wall of these boxes keeps liquid from escaping and running down the exterior. In addition, the clear tops allow me to see the boxes' contents for thorough scooping without the extra step of removing the lids. And the cats seem to enjoy the increased visibility as well as the extra-large size.

NOTE: I received this product at a discount for sharing my unbiased experience.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...