How many Calories are in a Banana?

How many calories does a banana have? How many calories are in 6 blackberries? I have been asking myself crazy questions like this for the last few days. Last week, I started to count calories for the first time in my life. It's was exhausting and horrible. **In case you're wondering - a medium banana has about 105 calories**

I survived the 6 days of calorie counting. I tried my best to only eat when I was hungry, to eat the correct portion size, and to say no to candy. Most days I averaged just under 2000 calories.  My lowest calorie day was 1837. I felt like I was starving on that day. Literally, starving! On all the other days, I was hyper-focused on food and was easily agitated.

To be fair - I did lose 3 pounds in those 6 days and it was mostly fat (judging by my body fat calculating scale and by appearance). I also didn't lose any strength gains in the gym.

But I still don't get it. An active 110 pound woman should eat between 1400-1800 calories (based on most internet calculators; the range is based on activity levels.) I don't think I could have survived in the 1400's, and in talking to most of my friends, they told me they routinely eat in the 1200 calorie range. NOOooooooo!

And so I have quit calorie counting.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been counting calories for 4 years. I stay between 1200-1400 calories every day. It's tough but I'm used to it now.

To lose 3 pounds at 2000 calories is amazing. You must have a really high metabolism! You're pretty lucky.

Jasmine1485 said...

I'm not sure where you're getting your energy requirements from, but I'm 2/3 of the way through a nutrition degree and concerned about the numbers being mentioned. 2000 calories per day is a perfectly normal amount of energy for a woman to consume. If you'd like some rough amounts, try this website:

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/wecan/healthy-weight-basics/balance.htm

The values there are based on the US dietary guidelines, and include three different activity levels. If you'd like to more accurately calculate your needs, you can use this website (recommended by the US Dept of Health and Human Services):

http://www.bcm.edu/cnrc/caloriesneed.htm

Don't be made to feel bad about your intake, it sounds normal to me. If you're not gaining or losing weight, likely you're in energy balance (ie. taking in as much energy as you're burning). Good luck and I hope this helps! :)

Angela said...

Wow! Thank you Jasmine! No wonder I felt so hungry! I found the calorie calculators by searching online but none had these kinds of numbers. Thank you much :)

scarves said...

Thanks for the lively conversation, My best to the once and future Blowhards!
Scarves Scarves

Rumi said...

I eat 1200-1400 calories per day to maintain my weight (112 lbs, 51 kg) and I workout every day for 20 minutes. If I eat more than 1500 calories per day I will put on weight for sure. People are different and you need to try to find out what works for you.

Becca said...

I started counting calories (again) at the beginning of this year. I try to definitely be under 1500 each day. Some days I am over, and other days I am way under and have to eat more. I don't eat bananas hardly ever anymore tho...my doctor said they are about the worst fruit for you!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...