Counting Calories - WTF!?!?

In all of my thirty something years, I have never counted calories and I've never been on a "diet." For the most part, I've always eaten what I wanted when I wanted it. I've always thought that strategy was working for me, but maybe not.

I had always had an affinity for "whole foods" but 2 years ago I let myself get sucked into the coupon world and bought all sorts of horrible items. Then I found The Omnivore's Dilemma and I started back on a journey toward being my real self.

We started eating better than ever, but like always I ate as much as I wanted. Recently, I thought I'd take a look at how much I was eating. For the first time in my life: I measured, calculated, and wrote down what I ate.

HOLY CRAP! What I found out about myself was mind blowing. First of all, I said yes to candy (and chocolate!) more often than I care to admit. And even though I was eating super healthy foods 90% of the time, I was eating way too much of it.

Just eating when I was hungry, being selective about portions and snacks, I was coming up with around 2000 calories a day. My god!  Usually, I take bigger portions and eat snacks whenever I see them. What must my normal calorie counts be??

Plus I don't always make such "light" meals either. I haven't counted any lasagna days, almond butter pig-outs, or fajitas topped with gobs of yummy avocado goodness yet.

Honestly, I'm afraid to know. All BMR calculators say that someone my weight should eat between 1400-1800 calories (depending on how active I am that day) but at 2000-ish, I feel like I'm starving. What the hell?

I'm going to keep track of this calorie nonsense for a month - max. It's been 2 days so far. I'm hoping to make it at least a week, but I am not living my life this way. OMG! No wonder people HATE dieting.

6 comments:

Lydia said...

Maybe I'm weird, but I actually enjoy counting calories when I need a little push to loose some weight (as in now, post baby).

Here's a little tool that I found handy. It calculates how many calories are in any recipe that you have.
http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php?process=resubmit&count=2

Noelle said...

I'm always shocked at how fast calories add up.
I've just started counting calories and for the first few days I found myself starving, but it's starting to be less and less noticeable, which is a great thing!

Felicia said...

I definitely eat my fair share of chocolate! I would be afraid to count mine!

manthas24 said...

Too funny:) Been here, done this but reading your post made it seem even funnier!

scarves said...

Scarves Scarves your apple a day keeps the doctor away

Life as Leah said...

Staying fit and trim is very important to me, but i also have a HUGE sweet tooth...I mean, whenever my son and I bake cookies, the cookie monster has nothing on me. To help make up for this (because I just don't think it's ever going to change) I help balance it out by drinking only water and black coffee, and orange or other fruit juice here and there. I am not sure what your drinking habits are, but I feel like all the junk we drink during the day can add so many unnecessary calories. I would much rather get calories from eating a slice of cake than from drinking a glass of sweet tea loaded with sugar!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...