Is that a Challenge??

So....I happen to have a naturally defiant streak. I'm not embarrassed about it and I wouldn't want to change it for the world. And it turns out, I'm not alone.

My next-door neighbor was told by her mother-in-law that she'd be "fat by forty" and she is hell bent on proving her wrong. Awesome. She's really one of the most fit people I know. I worked out with her for a while last year but had to quit because she was too extreme for me. Woo!

Anyway, back to my point. She just turned 36, and she amped up her workout routine, running 10 miles at each workout and lifting weights that would put most men to shame. I like her, but...she's told me about her MIL's comment on numerous occasions.

It's always in the back of her mind. And she said she'd become anorexic before she let her MIL be right. Holy smokes! Well, now I have a "comment" of my own.

Recently, my husband's relatives were visiting and an uncle mentioned how nice it was that we had so much storage space. I commented that there's more than it seems since most of our cabinets, closets, etc are empty. And he said, "oh that won't last long, they'll be full before you know it. Things have a way of accumulating."

 Now, rationally, I know that he was just making small talk. But I take clutter seriously. And in the back of my mind, I took it as a challenge. Like - "wanna bet?" Yes, I'm crazy. But by the next weekend I had already found 5 more boxes worth of things to donate.

 And since goodwill stopped by, I've got another bag at the ready. I've thinned out my closet so much, I don't even need to store my clothes as the seasons change. I felt a million times lighter.

 I'm not trying to live in a tent with just a pair of underwear, but I never want to have so many things that it overruns my closets or floors. And now that I have my own irrational challenge, I'll be sure to keep on my toes with regard to clutter. ;)

2 comments:

Richele said...

Well I have challenged myself to be super thin and fit by 40! Since I am 37...I think I have time on my side...I think...LOL.

I also hate clutter. Good luck on your quest!

Jessica-MomForHim said...

Seriously, I SO need your help!!!

Will you please come over and help me thin out our house? You are really good at getting rid of stuff---Me, not so much. It's not that I don't try...

I know that my life would be simpler in some ways (okay, a lot of ways) if we could get rid of a lot of stuff. But our whole family has a hard time letting go. Please help!

(Admittedly, I'm a little scared because you'd probably fill 2 large dumpsters, not with trash but with stuff to donate or sell....but I know I can learn a lot from you in this area! Maybe you need to start one of those TV shows!)

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...