1st Grade - Not what I expected!!

We met with my son's first grade teacher this week, and it didn't turn out how I expected. Here's a brief rundown of our kindergarten experience - no recess, no snacks, Phys-ed once a month, mandatory weekly volunteering, and more.

My son didn't really enjoy school because he thought there was "too much sitting." I worried about first grade.

We got a postcard in the mail announcing his teacher and I quickly checked with all my mom friends and found out that none of the students from his kindergarten class, book club, or our neighborhood were in his 1st grade class.

Since he has a hard time starting new friendships, this concerned me. Plus, I really wanted him to get the 1 male teacher in our school. I thought it would be neat for him.

So we went to meet his teacher and check out his new classroom. To start things out, the teacher had a scavenger hunt set up so we got to see all the important classroom locations (lockers, desk, gym, lunch room, etc.) It was a lot of fun and both of my kids enjoyed it.

Then, she gave me the sheet outlining her rules. Here are the highlights:

1. She believes that dehydration leads to poor learning and requests that each child have a water bottle at their desk to drink throughout the day. Children should take it home to be washed each night.

2. She allows up to 2 snacks per day. Snacks are to be healthy. If you send an unhealthy snack (and there was a list!!), it will be sent back home.

3. There will be physical education every other day.

4. There will be recess EVERY day - rain, snow, or shine. Leave appropriate clothes at school so the children can always participate.

5. She had 10 different options for parent volunteers: you can volunteer as little or as much as you want and in the areas that you value most.

6. She gave 3 different contact methods and asked for a detailed list of concerns, areas to watch, and what we wanted our children to achieve in 1st grade.

7. There are to be no peanut snacks in the classroom.

Awesome! I had heard great things about her from other moms, but they never mentioned any of the above. She was a teacher after my own heart, and I think it's great. The only downside - recess is right after lunch. Studies show that kids eat better when they eat after recess, but I'm not worried about my son eating.

He's like a trash can (lol) and I know he'll eat his lunch and snacks. We practiced at VBS this summer and he always returned an empty lunch bag. Plus, since he knows he'll actually get to have phys-ed and recess, I don't think he'll stress about it.

We're super excited. And yes, since we don't know any of the children in his class, it means my fall will be full of loud-boy play groups (total B-A-R-F ), but a mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do....

12 comments:

B. Wilson said...

Hooray! There ARE great teachers out there... hate when a few spoil the bunch. Let the learning begin!

Beth said...

Is this public school? That REALLY surprises me that Kindergarten doesn't get recess or snacks- that's just weird to me.

blueviolet said...

This sounds like it's going to be a great year!

Angela said...

Yep - this is public school and they couldn't fit in phys ed or recess in kindergarten. Every week there was time for fundraising though!!!! It's a hot button for me. But I'm optimistic about this year. :)

The NEW Mommiez Blend said...

Great to hear. :) Hope he's having a blast and meeting new buddies. I'm not a huge fan of fundraising either. Wouldn't it be better to give $20 to my kid that will go toward fill in the blank instead of getting a candle for my $20 and only 1/2 of the money raised goes toward the school. Hmmph.

Chelle

Post Grad said...

That's awesome! Here's to a great school year.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

This teacher sounds wonderful. What a great way to start the year.

Alison said...

Wow that sounds like a lot of fun! I don't think Hunter would be good with just sitting. What a yucky kindergarten that sounds like.

Jessica Nunemaker said...

The public school corp here just did away with a recess so elementary school kids only have ONE! One! Even Kindergarten. So sad...and my kids are so not going. ;)

...there's a private school in town, too.

Stephanie said...

That teacher sounds so AWESOME! I never thought about teachers promoting the water bottle. If you didn't have a water bottle with you at school/work there is no way you would get the recommended amount/day. Sweet! I hope he continues to enjoy it!

Busy Working Mama said...

Awesome teacher! I hope my child's school is that organized once she finally attends.

Emelie said...

So glad to hear! I remember being so frustrated after your post last year and it wasnt even my kid or my city!! She sounds like a very smart woman. Such a blesing!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...