Exercising for Free?

One of the best things about Exercise is that's almost always free (or close to it!) Running, body weight exercises, heck even vacuuming are free exercise. It's part of why I like it so much.

As we are nearing the end of our construction process, I can't help but smile when I pass my new fitness room.

Beyond the obvious awesomeness of actually having a dedicated space for fitness, I'm excited about how little it's actually cost us.

Here's a picture of our fitness room - still a work in progress:
So now you're probably wondering about the costs. For starters, my new 32" TV was completely FREE courtesy of Swagbucks. Wahoo! The flooring is an old mat from the University wrestling team (go green!). The weights, bench, and most of the fitness videos were free from craigslist. I eventually want to upgrade the weight bench to something more useful for both me and my husband. Hopefully, we'll have that figured out soon.

I bought the treadmill 3 years ago, at a deep discount directly from the manufacturer. Although it wasn't free, I have more than gotten my money's worth.

The room looks a bit awkward on camera, but it really has enough room for what I need. A treadmill, a weight space, and room for stretching/aerobics. I'm super syked to get in there and build some muscles.

My husband built a cool surprise into this room. For $32, he built me this built-in bookcase that holds my fitness dvds, towels, bands, etc. When this room is fully finished, we'll have mirrors and some inspirational wall art up.

I'm planning to put up some sort of stenciling on the rounded wall where I'll be stretching, kicking, and sweating. I wanted "Run, Puke, Run" but my husband has vetoed it. He suggested "You can do it!"

I like that one, but it turns out he was only kidding... In either event, I'll have tons of updated pictures soon. Construction is done and now we are moving furniture and starting to work on decor.

6 comments:

Busy Working Mama said...

I'm so jealous! I wish we had a basement where I could have an exercise room.

Post Grad said...

That's so cool! It always helps to have a dedicated room, that way you're not distracted by things in the family room or wherever else you try to work out. Plus, you don't have to worry about breaking things, hehe.
Congrats!
:)

Mandy's Life After 30 said...

The only way I work out is the FREE way -- running on my treadmill, walking outside or doing one of my dozen DVD workouts. Current favorites include Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and Yoga routines.

We're on a one income family and we can't afford gym prices. Plus, to be honest, I really hate the gym and the people there usually. I much prefer to do my own thing, in my own time, in the privacy of my own home or neighborhood!

Why suck in my gut, push out my boobs and feel bad for not wearing makeup at the fitness center when I can walk around like Peg Bundy at home? LOL! :-)

Good for you in your construction fitness project~! Best of luck.

Thanks for stopping by my place!
Mandy

www.mandylifeafter30.com

Jessica-MomForHim said...

Let me guess, he said "You can do it!" with an accent from the movie "The Waterboy", right? Or maybe my husband is the only one who does that...

Angela said...

Jessica - You are right on! That's exactly how he said it. :)

bryana said...

I'm so jealous!
I just moved from CA to VA and had to drop my gym membership. ( I had 24 hr fitness for 150.00 a year but for va the gyms charge 90.00 a MONTH)
I need a tread mill so bad, it's awesome you have the room for that and were able to do it so cheep! congrats! I've been looking on creigslist for months now and haven't been able to find anything

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...