No Exercise Since December!

I haven't talked about it much, but I stopped exercising! I haven't exercised (at all!) since December 20, 2009. WTF? That's right! Long story short - we were celebrating Christmas with my family when my sister got a text on her phone saying that actress Britney Murphy had died. And because of her death, I haven't exercised in months.

Whoa! That's crazy talk. But it's more in depth than that. You see, I love to exercise. It's fun. It makes me feel healthy.....but I was taking it to an extreme. I was in great shape and I could do mad yoga poses like this:

And this:


I was running and shredding and.... I was getting sick. I was coughing a lot. I was losing extreme amounts of hair. My cycle was all messed up. I was losing all kinds of weight. Did I mention I was also vegan during this time? Yeah, I was on the edge. It was at this time that an unwanted roommate had finally moved out and I was done with the extreme stresses in my life.

When my sister heard that Brittney had died, she said she was sure it was drugs. Then a friend called and said it was because she was too thin - she was supposedly anorexic. And then it dawned on me. Maybe I was anorexic. Okay, no hating. I know the definition of anorexia and I know it's a serious disease.

I never starved myself. I don't even count calories. But I do fiercely control what I eat. And I do exercise to extremes. Not to lose weight, though that certainly happens. But I keep exercising. And exercising and exercising and exercising even though I get dangerously thin.

Since multiple people kept calling me to talk about her death and discuss "how skinny" she was, I just couldn't get it out of my mind. She was 32. I was almost 32. In height and weight, we were extremely comparable. If she was too thin, then I was too. If her weight put too much stress on her heart, then mine probably was too.

And what was I doing anyway? Why would I put my body at risk when my main goal is to be healthy. And when I have kids to take care of. I wasn't trying to be super skinny. I'm not a model or an actress or anybody that "has to" look perfect. So what was I doing? I decided I was going to be really healthy this time. I was going to stop exercising until I could get it out of my system. Then I'd start on a regular schedule again.

So for the next few weeks, I forced myself not to exercise. All my numbing symptoms and back pain came back. It sucked. But I stuck it out.

Just a few days ago, I stepped on the Wii Fit for the first time in 6 months (yep, it's a scale now) and found out I was 110 pounds. Hmmm.... It's not like I sat around and did nothing. I still go walking and swimming with my kids. I still vacuum daily (hold your vomit) and I'm still an active person. I just didn't exercise.

So during my exercise hiatus, I've been trying to acclimate to a life of moderation. How's that going? Well....anyone that really knows me, knows that I'm all about extremes. Crap! I legitimately took 6 months off from any exercise. Sure, I got pissed anytime I saw my friends exercise. And when they told me about their gym memberships, boot camps, and triathlons; it was all I could do not to break down.

But I'm good. We're almost done with our remodeling project and that means a new home gym. Wahoo! I'm desperately eager to start up again. I'm waiting for the gym to be finished and then it's on! Oops - I mean I plan to exercise responsibly. The gym can't get here fast enough. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

*In case you were wondering, the title of this post is said to the tune of The Beastie Boys "No Sleep til Brooklyn." Just thought you'd want to know. ;)

9 comments:

5thsister said...

}}}Hugs{{{{

Been there.
Bought the t-shirt.
Keep it all in perspective.

Carrie said...

i haven't been exercising regularly in a couple months either. my goal for july is to do some wii fit or a walk every day.

Jamie said...

Glad you are keeping it all in perspective. The new home gym sounds awesome!

To me 110 is tiny! Let's see I think I weighed that, um, 13 years ago when I got married! ;)

Thanks for putting the Beastie Boys on my mental soundtrack for the day. I used to listen to that cassette tape (snort) constantly!

Sister said...

I remember that text. I never associated you with her though. You were and are still super thin, but I was under the impression that you needed the exercise to help with the numbness and back pain? Was that all an excuse that you told yourself so you could exercise like a banshee? Is it psycho-sematic? (not sure of the spelling on that one, it's the first time I've used it. Don't you feel proud?)

Busy Working Mama said...

Good for you. Be healthy and well.

I vacuum daily, too. Or rather, my roomba does while I'm at work :) Love that thing.

Stephanie said...

I did not know that you haven't exercised since December! Dang! I think you should do it just enough to where you don't have the pain and numbness. Also, I forget what was your weight back in December... so did you really not gain any since then? Or just a few pounds. You may have lost some muscle weight. Also, DANG with those yoga poses. I bet you could do really good on a strip pole - that takes massive amounts of strength like those poses.

Angela said...

I did start the running and exercise program because of the numbness/pain, but then went out of control as a banshee.

The NEW Mommiez Blend said...

Angela you rock. I mean at first I wanted to call you a show off for showing us those insane yoga poses, but you are so real and honest I want to come over there and do some yoga with you. I'm sure you'd intimidate me with your contortionist (sp?) moves, but I heart yoga and you. Awe shucks. I sending hugs your way and wanted to let you know that you are thought about all the time. I love your blog content, your giveaways and well pretty much everything about this place. :)

PS...you didn't really need to give up yoga too? Wouldn't it have helped with the pain? Just sayin.

-Chelle

Angela said...

I hear ya on the yoga-break, unacceptable. I scored some free yoga outfits at Target this week and started easing myself back into it. And by easing, I mean full on. :) And I'm so sore. lol

Yoga would have been (and is) awesome for the pain, but I'm all about extremes. Can't help it. It's just how I roll.

We'll be finishing our remodel just in time for back to school, so I can dedicate 3 days each week just to exercise and I'm so excited.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...