I've been eating dirt...

My garden is full of exclusively organic fruits and veggies. That means I use no chemical fertilizers, pesticides, fungicides...heck I don't even water it. That last part is due to laziness. My favorite thing to grow is berries. I'm all about berries. And since our garden is "organic," we just pick the berries and eat them.

There's no washing, no saving, just eating. And that's all well and good, right? After all, it's organic. I never really thought about it until we brought a big bowl of blueberries into the house.

Seeing them in that form made my daughter ask about washing. Washing? Oh...I guess I never thought of that. Well, I washed them and...................

The bowl was covered in dirt. Ew! It's not that I've never seen frogs, bugs, or chipmunks touching our plants or that I didn't see the very plants spring from the dirty earth. But still!

How much dirt have we been eating? I don't know. But even seeing the mass quantities of dirt that came from our blueberries, I still eat them straight from th bush. Everything else too. I just can't help it. I've been doing it for decades. I guess you are what you eat. lol


5 comments:

Miriam T. said...

Two things come to mind.....
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger and If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

Emelie said...

Or ~ A little dirt never hurt anyone! You know, YOU really make me smile. I read your blog and I just feel good. That's a talent dear!

Angela thanks for leaving the helpful tip on my blog! I really appreciate it!

Emelie @
athriftyfind.blogspot.com

Dimes2Vines said...

I heard once that everyone should eat a pound of dirt a year to improve their immune system!

The Prudent Homemaker said...

Better dirt than the bird droppings I find on my peaches!

Anonymous said...

At least its only dirt...and not bugs...or pesticides. Sometimes I'm too lazy to wash the vegs i get from the supermarket - now THAT's bad!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...