The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven

Every once in a while, I title crosses my screen and I say "I've got to read that book." It happened to me just a few days ago when I came across this book: The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven.

Ordinarily, I wait for a book to make it to our local library and then I wait forever on the waiting list and finally; I read the book I wanted. Not anymore. Life is too short to wait months for something you really want to read. In the case of "The boy who came back from heaven," I sent a quick email and the book was graciously sent to me within a few short days.

Why did I want to read this book? In my opinion, the title says it all. This book is the story of a 6 year old boy that essentially "dies" in a horrible car accident. He is kept alive artificially while his mind remains in a coma for 2 months. When he comes back, he tells his family all about what he saw, heard, and experienced. It's a story worth hearing.

I have to be careful in telling you what I really think about this book because I don't want to retell the story, and I don't want to taint anyone's perspective. You see, I don't believe in heaven or hell. That being said, I'm willing to admit that I don't know everything there is to know and I'm willing to listen to what other's have to say.

I've read many accounts from people that have "come back" and they are all quite interesting. This book is the first time I remember reading a child's account. Not that children don't lie or make up stories (trust me, I have two of them and they tell some whoppers!) but they're not generally motivated to deceive the same way an adult might be.

So I really wanted to read Alex's story. First things first, it's a quick and easy read. I read this book in less than a day. And I have two little kids running around. I did read a lot of it after they went to bed, but it's the type of story that you can read in bits and pieces without missing anything. It's a story, and it reads like one. That's why I found it to be interesting, engaging, and easy to follow.

I was also engaged because I wanted to hear what happened. I knew some of the "end" because I could see that Alex was alive and smiling on the back of the book, but I didn't allow myself to search the internet (or PrayforAlex.com) until after I finished because I didn't want to spoil the journey. And that's what this book really is: one family's journey from tragedy to today.

It's a devastating story. It's filled with all sorts of trials and inspirational moments, some that I found a bit "too church driven" for my comfort level, but all good reminders to feel grateful for the things we do have and not dwell on all that we are missing.

The one thing I wanted from the book was more from Alex about God. There isn't quite as much about Heaven as I would have liked and there isn't a lot of "specifics." But then again I would have had hundreds of questions for him.

I can tell you with all honesty, that I don't think the book really changed my views on God or heaven. But I did gain from it. For anyone with children, I think it's a poignant reminder that we only have them for a very short time. That even though things might be tough for you right now, you can make it through them. This family has made it through some unbelievable trials. I feel for them, and I hope things get better.

As soon as I finished the book, I went online to find out what had happened from the date the book was written until today. I was glad to find the family photo section. It helped me to put the story into perspective. The book gave me a very "grown up" impression of Alex, and it helped to see how young he really was. When the book described his grin, I'd flip back to the back and look at his smiling picture, but I finally understood when I saw the photos online.

According to Alex, God had told him he would heal him completely, and I'd love to see that happen. I'll keep checking to see if he does. And I'll pray for him. I hope that his story does change people, and I hope more than anything that he'll be able to ride a bike again some day.

*Disclaimer: I received a complementary copy of this book for review purposes. All opinions are my own.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your review.

Kevin Malarkey

Anonymous said...

Great review. You are a Seeker as am I. Blessed with a truly open mind. I am a Christian but have lots of questions about the Nature of God. This book doesn't answer those questions but it does cement my belief in the hereafter. I'm not sure what to think about Heaven. I do think there's a time for worship but 24/7? I think it would get just a tad dull after a while.

Anyway, nice review

Kevin Hovis

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...