Blogging for Money - My 2 Cents

My blog is now over a year old, and to my surprise blogging has been a profitable experience. How profitable, you ask? Well, that depends on how you define profit.

In sheer dollars and cents, this blog has averaged about $300/month since I first started last May.

Obviously, some months have been better money months than others. My first 2 months brought in less than a hundred dollars, but I've also had months where I've made more than $800.

Over the last 3 months, I think we can all admit I've been a really lazy blogger. Hey, I'm in the middle of a gigantic home remodeling project and it's summer. What can I say? But even though I've slacked, I'm still making at least $300/month. And I'm not counting gift cards, review products, or swagbucks prizes. That's all gravy. I don't even know how to value those "gifts."

That's why I say it's hard to tell you how much I really make with this blog. I only count the cash that makes it's way into my bank account. Wondering how my blog makes money? I've wrote about the details here and here.

I'm still following the exact same format as I mentioned in those earlier posts. There are only two deviances from the original plans. One is the addition of the Savvy Source widget.

I had no idea whether it would turn out to be a scam or a legit advertiser. They pay out 6 months in the rear (make sense?) but I received my first check from them this month and averaged $93/month just from their widget. FYI - I get no referral payments if you sign up and I don't do anything with the widget. It just rolls on my webpage. Easy-peasy.

The other change is that I do receive occasional "pay for posting" gigs and paid advertiser spots. And I've said "no" to a lot of them. That's just because I'm lazy. If I took the time to answer all my emails or read up on advertisers, I'd probably be money ahead.

I keep wondering when it will all fizzle out. Maybe soon. Maybe never. Honestly, I'm surprised I made it past the "1 year" blogging hurdle.

My construction project will be done soon and both of my children will be in school this fall, so perhaps I'll pick it up again and go back to being a blogger that makes $500-$600 a month. Or maybe I'll kick it up a notch and be one of those bloggers that actually makes a "real income" online. Time will tell. And I'll share the details as they unfold.

If there's anything I'm missing, feel free to share your thoughts with me.

8 comments:

Cindy said...

Congrats on being so productive after only a year of blogging! The majority of bloggers don't do nearly so well! If I ever decide to monetize my blog, I'm just gonna copycat your methods. :-)

Or maybe I'll just do what I always do, and not bother. I'm such a slacker. You're awesome!

Anne - Mommy Has to Work said...

How can I get the Savvy source widget? I've gone on to their website and do not see where to sign up for ads like you mentioned. Any help?
thanks!

liz said...

I second what Anne wrote - I looked on their site and didn't see anything for an ad network. Thanks!

Angela said...

You can't access the network through the ad, but I'll dig through my emails and see if I can get you a direct email to them. They do pay out super late though, so you keep that in mind. It's 6 months later, which is a bummer, but they do pay well. I'll try to email you the address or put it up here.

Anne - Mommy Has to Work said...

Thanks!

Jessica-MomForHim said...

I would also like to sign up with savvy source, if they are accepting new bloggers. I missed the sign-up last time because I was too late!! Grr!!

Organic on a Dime said...

Thank you so much for your open and honest blogging! It is really helpful to us "newbie" bloggers.

Kimberly said...

never thought there was money in blogger......thanks for the article

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...