Uncle Ben's Brown Rice Review

It's no secret that I like to cook from scratch. And I mean scratch - scratch. There are no instant oatmeals or minute rice type products in my kitchen. Never!

I'm also a big fan of whole foods and whole grains. I make brown rice on a regular basis, so when I had the chance to review Uncle Ben's Fast & Natural Brown Rice, I thought about it for a long time.

I checked to be sure it was truly a whole grain product and was honestly interested to see how it would turn out. The box said, "ready in 10 minutes!" 10 minutes! For Brown rice!! Since my usual recipe takes about an hour, I was very interested in seeing how this worked out.

So I signed up and was sent a whole lotta rice, lol. It wasn't long before I started making it. I was sent the Fast & Natural Whole Grain Instant Brown Rice and the Boil in the bag brown rice.

According to the package, there are 3 ways to prepare the instant brown rice. Since I've never made rice in the microwave, I decided not to start now. I followed the regular stovetop directions. They were most like my usual rice prep and I thought the easiest to follow.

True to the packaging, our rice was ready in 10 minutes. Done! It was simple and quite frankly awesome. How did it taste? Good and a lot like white rice. When I make brown rice, it ends up a little chewier or nuttier. But the Uncle Ben's rice was good and easy. I'd be happy to use it again.

I was a little less enthusiastic about the boil in a bag rice. I just couldn't get used to the idea. I know people make food in plastic bags all the time, but I kept feeling like I was "cooking plastic." It may just be me, and maybe I'm irrational, but that's how I felt. The rice turned out fine. I just couldn't get over the process.

All-in-all, I liked Uncle Ben's brown rice. I was surprised at how well it turned out and how quickly. I'd be open to buying and using it again.

I wrote this review while participating in a blog campaign by Mom Central on behalf of Uncle Ben’s and received samples to facilitate my candid review. Mom Central sent me a gift card to thank me for taking the time to participate.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...