June Garden Update

My garden this year can be summarized in one word: Blueberry-palooza! It's hard to get all 4 bushes in one shot. Heck, it's hard to get one blueberry bush in the shot, so take a look at a few stems and understand that all the stems on my berry plants look like these!




Berry loaded and awesome! The third year is the charm in gardening (in case you didn't know that) and we're on year three.

My red raspberries are picking up speed. The yellows and purples are still slacking. And although I successfully propagated the black raspberries, they are still being lazy on berry production.

My strawberries are producing well this year too. It's hard to tell by the photos but each plant has 4 or 5 berries. My nephew was over recently and he said, "wow, you get to go berry picking in your own yard!" Indeed!
Here are a couple more growth shots. It's so hard to see everything, and there really is a rhyme and reason to the planting in here. It just doesn't look like it.


And in case you're wondering, everything in my garden is grown is chemical free. I added organic horse manure this winter and use organic sea kelp as my "fertilizer." Nothing else goes in.

Wondering what's in the garden? This year I divided my garden into perennial and annual sections. Here's what's cooking this year:

Perennial -
Red Heritage Raspberries
Red Latham Raspberries
Fall Gold Raspberries
Purple Royalty Raspberries
Bristol Black Raspberries
NorthSky, Northblue, Northland, and Chippewa Blueberries
Oregano, Thyme, Parsely, and Chives
Strawberries (Quinalt and Tribute)
White Niagra and Purple Concord Grapes
Asparagus
Gooseberries
Wild black rasperries
Wild purple grapes
Hens and Chicks

Annual -
Sugar Snap Peas
Cucumbers
Pumpkins
Roma, Brandywine, Sweet 100, Early Girl, Beefmaster, and Better Boy tomatoes
Spinach
Lettuce
Swiss Chard
Red Peppers
Jalepeno Peppers
Green Peppers
Basil
Cilantro
Marigolds, Petunias, and Sunflowers

I'll be expanding my garden by about 80 square feet (almost 50% - wahoo!) this fall, so next season should be even more fun and veggie filled.

8 comments:

Lindsey said...

I love your garden! I have a small one this year and my tomatos are dying. {sniff sniff} But everything else is doing wonderfully.

grammpaula said...

I'm so jealous. I finally got my garden planted over the weekend. Now we are having rain everyday again. At least I don't have to water. I do have a few strawberries that are pink and some blossoms on the new blackberry bush.

The NEW Mommiez Blend said...

Oh your blueberries look sooo good. I want some now! I have a lot of the same stuff you do. Keep up the great work!

Chelle

Jessica-MomForHim said...

WOW! I seriously need your gardening help! I would LOVE to grow blueberries. I basically have strawberries, raspberries, and tomatoes. I don't have a lot of room for my garden, which is really limiting.

Jessica-MomForHim said...

Oh, I have rhubarb, too!

Carrie said...

You've given me hope with the third year is the charm in gardening. This is year 2 for us, and although we had a bumper crop last year without having a CLUE what we were doing, this year we got a late start to the garden and it seems like we're never going to get anywhere. BUT we did add raspberry bushes to our yard this year as well as apple and plum trees, so here's hoping that one day we can go fruit picking in OUR backyard! Great pictures - thanks for sharing!

Carrie said...

Oh, and do you have problems with birds going after your blueberries? I've been thinking about planting some, but don't know if I want to fight with our birds or not. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Rose Sterling said...

Wow. What a nice garden there! I love it! The garden is organized and everything is fenced! How I'd wish to have a garden just like yours. But I think berries' fruits are short-lived since birds and insects tend to get them first before we do. lol

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...