Keep Your Daylillies blooming all season!


Daylillies are beautiful, but they never seem to last all season. Well, that was my experience with them, until I learned how to prolong their blooming time.

We all deadhead our flowers, right? Well, for daylillies, you need to pull out the flower stems (once the flower dies).

This picture has a few of the stick-like stems in it. Just grab them and pull them out and your daylillies will bloom all summer.

You may have to pull hard....but it will be worth it. Just toss the "stems" in your compost pile. ;)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I am so happy you posted this! I have tons of daylilies and I love them, but they are gone so quickly. I'm going to try this!

Lisa @ All That and a Box of Rocks

Jane Marie said...

The only daylilies that I know of that have a long daylily season are Stella d'Oros. I have been gardening with daylilies for 20 years and I've never heard of pulling out the stems, which are called scapes. Cut them back at the base when you are sure there are no more blooms coming. Some plants are rebloomers. Daylilies generally have a 2-3 week blooming period, but there are early, mid, and late bloomers. For continuous bloom and color in your garden, plant a variety. There are over 40,000 differnet daylilies! Hopes this helps.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...