War is Good!

I absolutely hate war, but WAR - the card game - has been tremendously helpful in teaching both of my children basic number skills. My 4year old is excellent at this game! Math for little kids has a little bit to do with numbers, and a lot to do with patterns, quantities, the concepts of less/more, and shapes.

WAR not only teaches number recognition but helps children quantify and compare the numbers (less/more.)

So do your kids a favor and play WAR with them. You'll be teaching them some pretty fun (and competitive) math. Who said math was boring? Definitely not me!

5 comments:

CherylK said...

This sounds like something my grandchildren would like...how do you play it? What are the rules and what kind of cards do you use?

liz said...

That is such a great idea! My oldest is 4 and it never crossed my mind to play a game like that! Thanks!

Liz
http://www.bellebeanchicagodog.com

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

We have Math War and the kids love to play it. It's a total sneaky way to get them to learn their math. ;)

Midday Escapades said...

What a coincidence. My son and I played this at Starbucks yesterday during our one-on-one time.

Angela said...

You use a regular deck of cards and give each player half of the deck. Then you take turns flipping your top card. For each "battle" the person with the highest card wins. They take both cards. If you have matching cards, then you have a war. You lay down 3 cards each and pick one of them. When you turn over your cards, the person with the highest card wins and takes all the cards involved in the war. The winner is the person who ends up with all the cards. It can be short or take a really long time. But it's great for teaching children less/more.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...