Raw Energy - Review

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book for review purposes.

I love raw food! In fact, during the summer (coming soon - wahoo!) my diet is around 70% raw. I love everything about it - health, taste, and environmental impact. So when I was recently given the opportunity to review Raw Energy: 124 Raw Food Recipes for Energy Bars, Smoothies, and Other Snacks to Supercharge Your Bodyby Stephanie Tourles, I happily agreed.

The book is relatively short but filled with yummy raw recipes and unbelievably gorgeous whole food photos. The first few chapters are dedicated to all the reasons why raw food, real food, and snacks are healthy.

The information was complete and succinct, a great start for beginners. For me, it was preaching to the choir, but I found her information to be accurate and engaging. I knew I could see myself really liking the author when she referred to the "rawsome goodness" of raw food. Love it.

Even though I am already an enthusiastic raw food dabbler, I did learn some interesting things from this book (as well picking up a few must-try recipes.)

Something I think is worth sharing is a statistic she references stating that recent studies suggest 95-99% of toxic chemical residues come from meat, fish, dairy products, and eggs. I have been trying my best to rid our home of all processed food, but haven't gone all the way organic. I have gone entirely organic with beef, chicken, dairy, and eggs. I've had mixed success with pork and produce.

The selection just isn't readily available and I often feel like I'm the only one that visits our stores organic produce section. Sure, that often means deals to be had, but it also means the same produce is there week-to-week, and old produce is yucky produce, organic or not.

We're getting there bit-by-bit, but I am so happy to have made a bigger leap in animal products. Obviously, the quote was mentioned to encourage lower consumption of meats (most raw foodies are vegetarian or even vegan) but even if you eat a minimal amount of animal products, it makes sense to buy the "cleanest" meat/dairy/eggs possible.

I've also renewed my interest in keeping bees and have a new found interest in trying bee pollen.

There's plenty of raw-info nuggets in this book, but also tons of great recipes. There are nut milks, desserts, dips, veggie chips, salsas, smoothies, bars and puddings.
I already make nut butters, trail mixes, and eat a lot of raw fruit concoctions, but was happy to see some raw veggie recipes.

My must-try recipes from the book are raw chocolate turtles, raw brownies, almond stuffed dates, and raw chocolate pudding. I have a thing for chocolate. :)

Amazingly, I have all the ingredients in my pantry. You just might have them too.

Here's my bottom line interpretation: Raw is good. Raw is healthy. Raw doesn't have to be tough. The recipes in this book are amazingly easy. And if I can make them...then you can too. :)

The only negative comment I have for this book is in the recipes themselves. The recipes are great, but there are few pictures of the actual dishes. I would have loved to see (and drool) over real photos of each recipe. The book is very colorful and loaded with clear pictures of berries, nuts, and all sorts of yumminess. Just not a lot of the actual recipe pictures.

3 comments:

Midnite Skys said...

Oh yea I need pictures too. My picky girls would not eat it if it looks bad... they are weird like that......they are in their twenty's and still like that. I beat moms of little ones have it harder than me!! Pictures would help...
But they love raw veggies, that the easiest way for me to get the veggies in them, raw. I might check this book out!! Even me that hates peas; love them raw.......

Proud Poppa said...

Nice article. Does the book have anything about juicing? We recently started doing that and so far so good. Looking for some good recipes for adults and kids.

eric.romero@hilti.com
@proudtobeapoppa
www.proudtobeapoppa.blogspot.com

Proud Poppa said...

Nice article. Does the book have anything about juicing? We recently started juicing and so far, so good. Looking for recipes for kids and adults.

eric.romero@hilti.com
@proudtobeapoppa
www.proudtobeapoppa.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...