Dole Fruit Bowls - Review

Dole recently offered me the opportunity to sample their Fruit Bowls. First, I'd like to say that I've always liked Dole's products. We have purchased (and eaten) a lot of Dole mandarin oranges and pineapple products (all in light syrup) and loved them. I've even been to the Dole pineapple plant in Hawaii - twice! Freshly picked pineapple is a must try - put it on your bucket list! So when they offered me a chance to try their fruit bowls, I said "sure."

I was sent a package of their Apples & Creme Parfait, and the first thing I did was turn the package over and read the ingredients. From this point on, my entire view was skewed. I didn't like the ingredients at all, but back to that in a moment.

Let me share what I did like (or I think you might like about Dole's fruit bowls.)
  • They are super convenient and do not have to be refrigerated.
  • They would be so easy to throw into a lunch box (and not at all messy)
  • The first ingredient is apples and they would be an easy way to get kids who do not eat fruit to branch into fruit eating.
  • My kids liked how they taste.
Okay, back to what I didn't like. I just couldn't get over the package ingredients. My biggest complaints are the fat that they contained hydrogenated soy bean oil, glucose syrup, palm oil, phosphoric acid, and a whole lot of sugar and artificial flavors. Those are not the type of ingredients I want to put in our bodies. And I'm so sorry to Dole that I had to write that, but it's the truth.

So why did I let my kids try them in the first place? Well, it's not like my children have never eaten an oreo, or chips, or anything else that isn't healthy. We're on a transition to better eating and eating one Dole parfait is nothing compared to visiting grandparents. My children did like them. I thought they were okay. I don't like the cool whippy-taste of artificial creams, so they wouldn't be something I'd really eat. But if you have kids that don't eat fruits and veggies, they are a step in a better direction. And may help them realize that they do, in fact, like apples. And you can go from there.

*No compensation was received for this review. I did receive a complementary package of Dole Fruit Bowls Apples & Creme parfait for review purposes. This did not sway my opinion and all opinions are my own.

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

Great post! I purchased this product a few times as my hubby enjoys them. I stopped buying them after reading the label. I just cannot feel good about having them in my cupboard with those types of ingredients.

Mary said...

Thanks for your honesty. I considered buying the plain fruit bowls for my son's lunch, but found that only the pineapple didn't contain syrup or other things I'd rather skip, so I didn't get them. I do love fresh pineapple, though.

Anonymous said...

I'm suprised with those ingredients that Dole even sent them to you to try; it makes me wonder how out of touch that company is! Also wanted to mention the packaging waste; great review, though (well not for the fuit cups, but for your readers!).

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...