What would you do with an extra $100?

Kodak and the Juicebox Jungle sponsored me to write this crazy post about what I'd do with a surprise extra $100 if someone handed it to me next month. In some ways, this answer is so easy. And in other ways, it's extra tough. My natural instinct (really!) is to save it. I'd squirrel it away for a rainy day like I do with any other "extra" money.

But in 2010, I'm a new woman. I've set our family on a goal to eat healthier and I'm the only one on board with the plan! Since I don't pay for the groceries I buy, I have to answer to the person that does and he hasn't been excited about an increase in spending.

I started thinking up a plan for how I could offset the costs. Would I go back to playing the drugstore game? Would I buy all sorts of junk just because using coupons would make "a profit." Would I use all of my blogging money to cover the difference? I'm still working on the details. So would I use the FREE $100 to offset my new grocery spending?

Or would I be unselfish and donate to someone who needs it more? I have in the past, but I'm thinking I wouldn't. Visions of deep tissue massages, dark chocolate, and the clearance section of Target keep popping into my head. Something makes me think I'd be more selfish. Actually, I know I'd be more selfish because this kind of happened already.

I attended a local blogging event focused on healthy living and they gave me $25 just for coming. Huh? I was a little confused, but was thankful all the same. And what did I do when someone gave me $25? I took my family out to eat and even ordered dessert (*gasps*.) Okay, I did use a coupon for free dessert. Old habits die hard.

So what would you do if someone gave you $100?


In the meantime, check out the Juice box Jungle widget on the right (big green box, can't miss it) for great deals to help you save money on printer ink. For all of you that print coupons at home, you know how spendy ink can be! See if you can't save yourself some money.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd give it away to a local charity. Everyone is supporting Haiti right now and thats fine but local charities are hurting because of our own economic sitation here.

Bonnie Walsh said...

If someone gave me $100, I would definitely spend it on food.
I am a mom of five and all extra money goes for groceries.
But if I had to spend it on myself, I would buy some winter boots
and new gloves to wear in the snow.

Cindy said...

I'd hire a babysitter and go out for a quiet dinner with my husband on our anniversary.

Anonymous said...

im with ya on the massage

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

I'd buy groceries. So sad, I know. But I'd be able to get all those little things that wouldn't normally be able to buy. That would make my hubby VERY happy.

Michele said...

I would pay a baby sitter and then take my husband out to dinner and a movie. It has been ages since we've had the chance to do that!

Lafe's Hidden Treasures said...

I think I would give some to Haiti and the other to our local shelter.

SueZH said...

I have been missing my friend lately. I would drive down to meet one of them and take them out for lunch/dinner.

The Prudent Homemaker said...

Someone DID give me $100 this week--my grandmother. I am using it to pay the gas bill and part of the water bill. Our income has stopped, so for me, the greatest need is paying bills.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...