Tips for Making Angel Food Cake

I absolutely love Angel Food cake and made one every week for almost a year when I was 20 years old. And I ate them almost entirely by myself. Anytime you make an angel food cake, it will be yummy. But better technique and ingredients can take your cake from good to great. That's why I made one every week. I was trying to make the best cake possible! Be advised that when I was 20, I would skate between 10-15 miles every day.

Even though Angel Food cake is cholesterol and fat-free, it is not sugar or calorie-free. If you plan to teach yourself the art of this cake, strap on your skates! Or take a look at some of the things I discovered during my cake baking days.

Tips to Making a Really Good Angel Food Cake
  • Use Cake Flour and Sift it. This really does make a huge difference!
  • Never, ever grease the pan.
  • Use a big enough bowl to handle the egg white expansion and mixing.
  • Use Real vanilla and almond extracts
  • Crack your eggs (one by one) into a cup, then transfer to your bowl. If you get a little yolk in the cup, scramble that egg, and start over with a clean cup. This ensures that no yolk sneaks in and that one mistake doesn't ruin the eggs you already cracked.
  • Let your eggs warm to room temperature before whipping
  • Make sure your cream of tarter is fresh. If it's been in your cupboard for years, buy a new one.
  • Be sure to let the cake cool thoroughly. I know this is hard, but resist!

My Favorite Angel Food Cake Recipe
12 egg whites
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp almond extract
2 tsp pure vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup cake flour
1 1/2 tsp cream of tarter

Preheat your oven to 325 F. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tarter and salt. Beat until soft peaks form. Add the vanilla and almond extracts, then gradually add the sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Sift the flour over the batter and gently fold in.

Fill your ungreased cake pan, and cut through the batter with a spatula. Bake for 35-40 minutes until the crust looks deep golden brown and the cracks feel dry. Invert your pan onto a glass bottle and let the cake cool completely. Loosen with a spatula and tip the cake out.

Why not buy a boxed angel food cake mix? After all, they taste fine and usually go on sale for around $1 a box. A real angel food cake takes an entire carton of eggs, and high quality eggs can cost $3-4/carton. Not to mention the cost of the other ingredients. Yep, that's true. But like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

To give you the best answer, I suggest you rent the bookReal Food: What to Eat and Why.

My short answer is this: I have bought angel food cake mixes and they do turn out well, but in all my label reading I have only found 1 brand that NOT contain trans fats. In addition, all of the mixes contain powdered eggs (something I am NOT a fan of, read above mentioned book to see why) and they contain all sorts of preservatives and additives. Plus, where's the joy in baking something if all you need to do is add water and stir. Boring!

4 comments:

JDaniel4's Mom said...

This looks awesome!

Just Playin' said...

I've never know anyone to make an angel food cake! Am I ever sheltered or what????? I've bought them many times and they are still good. You know I have been thinking about skating lately. Ice or rollerrink?

Pinky's Cottage said...

I agree with you. Everything taste better by doing from scratch. People just don't take the time anymore. I try to as much as possible. I am your newest follower.
Love you site.

Angela said...

I'm an inline skater, but have been known to fall on a few ice rinks. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...