The Chest Freezer is Gone!!

Goodbye and Good Rid-dens! Today our chest freezer left the house. Obviously, it wasn't beautiful, but it did hold a lot of food over the last 7 years. Many people have commented that I should buy animals in whole or 1/2 animal quantities and freeze them. I've done that. This freezer has held 1/2 a cow, various amounts of pork and chicken, but I never liked buying meat in such bulk.

I still freeze meat, but not as often. I prefer to have fresh meat and only freeze a few extra if the sale was really good. I'm going to frequent our farmer's market weekly this summer and will buy meat directly from our farmers each week. The biggest occupant in this freezer was tomatoes from our garden, but that's easily remedied by canning them each summer instead of freezing and pushing the work off until later.

Everything that was in this freezer was either eaten up while we took a break from shopping or is currently in my fridge. Want to take a peek?
Look at all those tomatoes!! You can't tell by the picture but the bottom two drawers are all tomatoes. No laughing! I've never claimed to be organized. :) And yes, that is a huge bag of fondue chocolate. Chocolate is my weakness.... And toilet paper. lol

6 comments:

Midday Escapades said...

I so remember these chest freezers. My hubby's family used to have one and I hated that you had to dig through everything to get something else out. Chocolate is my weakness too.

Anonymous said...

Looks good! I wish we could get rid of ours. So many things sit there for an eternity and get freezer burn. Throwing away food is not saving money.

Organic Motherhood with Cool Whip said...

I have a chest freezer. It originally held about 10 million baggies of breast milk. Now it holds all kinds of random stuff. But I'm glad to have it cuz my fridge looks a lot like yours and I need the extra space. I freeze a lot of soups and beans and other junk so I don't have to cook every day since I'm super lazy like that. PS I can help you finish off that chocolate fondue if you were looking for volunteers...it's my absolute favorite!!! YUM.

Acting Balanced Mom said...

LOL - you just got rid of your chest freezer and I just got one again! I love fresh meat but with my current budget we need to buy and freeze what's on sale... I do however label EVERYTHING that goes into my chest freezer and regularly use what's oldest first, not just what's on top ... makes a little more work, but for us it's worth it...

HeartsMakeFamilies said...

I love my freezer but sometimes I don't. Congrats on getting rid of yours.

Dimes2Vines said...

Congratulations on getting rid of yours! I'll be glad to help you with the chocolate too!
I could not live without our freezers - all 3 of them! I freeze everything out of the garden and it has cut our food bill tremendously! The challenge is as always, being organized so stuff does not get lost in the bottom.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...