$500 Photo Contest!

Similasan and JuiceBoxJungle sponsored me to write this post, and they asked me to talk about the things I've missed because of kid-illnesses, and to mention their sweet contest!

My kids have had their share of illnesses and injuries. When my son was 3 1/2 (my daughter 2), he split his head open at the community center pool. With total He-man strength, I grabbed them both in my arms and ran. I ran all the way to the car, covered his head with a towel, strapped them in (gotta love carseats) and drove off to the hospital. Since the hospital was under construction, I had to park far away and run again.

That's my coolest illness story, but the worst was my son's asthma. At about 17 months old, he started having trouble breathing. We went back and forth to the doctor and he was put on antibiotics and steroids over and over again. He never really got better and worse than that, he stopped being able to speak. He screamed at night and couldn't get any uninterrupted sleep.

The doctors eventually told me he had asthma. He was put on twice a day nebulized steroids, twice a day (separately) nebulized albuterol, a daily leukotriene inhibitor, and 3 times a day antibiotics. He improved some, but he still coughed and didn't speak. Right in the middle of this, my daughter was born, my mom ran away, and my dad attempted suicide. It was a horrible time to be battling his illness.

My daughter has been fortunate to escape any of these major injuries or illnesses. But I wouldn't say that I've missed out on many activities or events because of their sickness. I've mostly missed out on sleep. And as any new mom knows, sleep is king when it comes to things you want/need to do.

Wondering what eventually happened with my son? We kept up on the horrible drug routine for a year and a half, and then we moved. He started speaking (at 3 years old!) Suddenly he could breathe and I tapered him off of all his meds. He didn't need them anymore. That's how we learned that he was allergic to our dog. She had been gone for over a year in our last house, but the allergens remained. He's been asthma free for almost 2 1/2 years now.

I love it when my babies are healthy! If you have pictures of your healthy, bright-smiling kids; enter them to win a $500 gift card courtesy of Similasan and Shutterfly. You can enter as many photos as you like and you have until March 28, 2010 to enter.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...