Weekly shopping: Eating healthier, one product at a time....

I haven't been out grocery shopping in a while. We've been eating from our pantry and researching how we are going to fit healthier items into our budget. I will be expanding our garden, visiting our Farmer's market in the summer, and joining a CSA. Until then, I'll be shopping at our regular stores (and online) to work healthier things into shopping cart.

This week, I shopped at Target. Our Target sells locally grown Grass-fed beef, locally raised cage-free eggs (still no pasture raised eggs, but they will come with our CSA - yay!), and even grass-fed milk. Go Target! I didn't buy the grass-fed milk because they were all out of 2% and only had whole milk left. We've been drinking 1% hormone-free corn-fed milk for the last zillion years, so it's going to be a tough transition to go straight to Whole. I will buy whole grass fed milk for making yogurt. I'm going to head to Trader Joe's next week to see if they have good quality grass-fed butter and unrefined sea salt.

Not everything in the picture is organic. There are 2 lbs of grass-fed ground beef, 1 dozen cage-free omega-3 eggs, 1 lb organic spinach, 6 peppers, 5lbs grapefruits, 5 lbs of naval oranges, 3lbs bananas, 8oz mushrooms, 3 lbs of kiwis, and 1lb of pecans. Our grand total for the week was $36.65. I saved $1.10 using one coupon and two reusable bags. :)

Here are my goals for our 2010 Grocery shopping:
-Take advantage of organic produce sales and closeout deals
-Buy organic whenever I can and where it's most important
-Grow as much quality organic produce as my garden will allow
-Buy pastured eggs and chicken whenever possible, organic cage-free as an alternative
-Buy Grass-fed milk, hormone-free milk as an alternative
-Buy Grass-fed beef
-Buy pastured, hormone and nitrate/nitrite free pork products; nitrate/nitrite free as alternative
-Buy only cold-pressed high quality extra virgin olive oil, no soybean/corn/safflower oils
-Buy less and less (and ideally zero) processed products
-Buy no products containing partially or fully hydrogenated vegetable oils
-Buy less candy and sugar-laden products
-Buy whole grain alternatives whenever possible (organic if available)
-Buy only wild fish
-Buy only "real" cheese products, grass-fed cheese whenever possible.

Like everything, I think this will get easier and less expensive as I get the hang of it. I've been running the numbers and I think we can reasonably follow this list without it costing all that much more. The animal products are understandably more expensive, but worth it. I'm trying to give myself some meat alternatives while CSAs and farmer's markets are not in operation to ease our transition into better meat options.

Our grocery budget has always averaged out to about $50-$65 each week. I'm giving myself a goal of staying under $100 a week as I buy more and more organic and grass-fed animal products. We will still eat almost all of our meals at home and go out to eat about once every 2 or 3 months.

7 comments:

Heather McDougle said...

I have an award for you at my blog: http://www.ratherbechangingdiapers.com/2010/01/awards.html

Just Playin' said...

Thanks for sharing and for the inspiration....maybe we'll all do better! I tweeted you!

The Prudent Homemaker said...

My husband converted me from skim milk to whole. I thought it couldn't be done, but it was wonderful! Like drinking cream in comparison (yum!). Now, I can certainly tell the difference between cream and whole!

Jessica-MomForHim said...

Man, I don't think I could ever go out to eat only once every 2-3 months. I LOVE going out to eat, and would do so more often if our budget and waistlines would allow! So many good restaurants, so little time!

Angela said...

LOL - I actually think eating out is kind of gross. I'm reluctantly brought along whenever my husband gets the itch to eat out or order pizza.

Alyssa said...

I only recently discovered the abundance of healthy, organic foods at Target and I love it!! I've also found good deals on organic meats, frozen veggies, and other good foods at Costco. Last week I bought a 3lb pack of organic, grass-fed beef there for a really great price.

PS - My goals for grocery shopping in 2010 are pretty much exactly the same as yours...here's hoping we both achieve them!

amanda said...

my shopping isn't perfect... and I am still learning as I go, but I am making it through the 'harshest' food season eating mostly all natural and organic for about $100 a week. As spring hits and fresh organics are more widely available I hope to knock out a lot of the processed stuff. That has been my biggest downfall.

My goal list looks a lot like yours!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...