Walking on Water

Today was a good day. I dropped my son at a birthday party and headed to Trader Joe's for some detailed price checking. Meanwhile, my husband took my daughter out to ride fourwheeler on the lake. The verdict for Trader Joes....I still like the store, but ever since Target started carrying grass fed beef, cage free omega-3 eggs, and grass fed milk, I love them even more. I bought some unrefined sea salt at TJ, but I won't feel an urge to go back until my salt runs out.

So, I joined my husband and daughter on the lake. I'm not a huge risk taker and I haven't set foot on a frozen river or lake in years. As a child, my brother and I went through the ice on the Mississippi. We were out on his fourwheeler just as it started to warm up in early spring. Our backend went through the ice and we waged a long, wet, and exhausting battle against the river to get the machine free and get back to safety. As a teen, I used to sneak out with boys that had a little too much to drink and spin like crazy on frozen lakes in cars that were barely holding on to their bumpers. But as an adult, I am Mrs. safety. The mere fact that I left my son at the birthday party instead of hovering like a vulture is progress.

And so I walked out on the lake. I tried to ignore the gigantic cracks in the ice, but it was useless. I eventually bent down and stuck my hand in them. As I walked on the ice, I felt wild and free. Not wild and stupid like I was as a teenager, but wild and fun. I could see my husband and daughter in the distance spinning around and having a great time. Thank goodness one of us still knows how to have fun. :)

They drove up to me and I took a turn driving her around. But soon I was frozen and it was time to pick up my son, so I left them. We're all heading out soon to a healthy living event with a few local bloggers. Today was fun.

6 comments:

Katie said...

Target now only carries wild salmon too!
I Wish we had a super target.
http://pressroom.target.com/pr/news/consumables/label/target-eliminates-farmed-salmon.aspx

beenomom said...

I'm glad you had a fun day. Sometimes it's nice to take the plunge and do something a little out of our comfort zone. Good for you!

J. L. W. said...

I love our SuperTarget. I always find good deals. It sounds like you had a great day and got to have some mommy time.

Stacie said...

Sounds like a fun time on the 4 wheeler. I am to chicken to go out on a frozen lake or river. I just fear falling through.

Midday Escapades said...

Oh my goodness, you are some brave girl and woman. I would not be out there. No can do.

Angela said...

Yep, Target rules. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...