Tomato Basil Soup Recipe


I no longer buy canned soup. Wahoo! It's so liberating, but best of all, I know what we are eating! I recently modified a recipe I found on allrecipes.com for Tomato Basil soup. It turned out great. The only downside...the recipe made a whole lotta soup! Next time, I'll be cutting this recipe in half. ;)

Tomato Basil Soup
2 Cans (28oz) of Crushed tomatoes (use homegrown if you have them)
1 3/4 cup chicken broth
18-30 fresh basil leaves (minced) (you can subs. dried basil, about 2 tsp)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 medium onion (finely minced)
2 small garlic cloves (finely minced)
1 cup milk or half/half or cream (choose your fat content, lol)
1-2 Tbsp butter or olive oil

Saute the onions and garlic in the oil(or butter) until browned. Add everything else and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for 10 minutes then add the cream or milk. Heat until warmed through but do not boil again.

If the tomatoes are too acidic for you, add 1-3 tsp of sugar (1 tsp at a time) until the flavor is balanced out.

2 comments:

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

Sounds delicious! I love soups and stews in the winter. I have a GREAT recipe for tomato soup from fresh tomatoes from an old Jacque Pepin cookbook. Nothing like it! But usually we eat our fresh tomatoes too fast for many batches of soup.

blueviolet said...

That looks spectacular!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...