Saving on Organic Produce

Every once in a while, I hit the stores at exactly the right time. What do I mean? Sometimes, I happen to be at the store when they mark down meats or produce that they need to sell quickly. A lot of times I feel like I'm the only person that walks through our grocery store's organic department.

Everything looks the same and products sit there a little longer than they should. When that happens, the grocery store drastically slashes the price. I've scored organic pears and apples for half the price of my usual best prices for conventional produce. But they usually need to be eaten immediately! So how do you eat 3lbs of pears in one day? For meat it's easy because you can throw it in the freezer without losing much taste or quality.

Here's what I do for produce:
  1. We eat as many as we can!
  2. Bake tasty desserts.
  3. Use them in smoothies, yogurt, cereal, sundaes, and more.
  4. Dehydrate them. The picture above is from a time I dehydrated apples and pineapples at the same time. As an added bonus, you can sprinkle apples with cinnamon and your house will smell amazing (and the apples taste great too). Almost every fruit is yummy dehydrated. Pineapple are the best - it's seriously like candy!
  5. Puree them into sauces, jams, and butters. You can can or freeze any extras.
  6. Freeze the extras (for most fruits, slice them up freeze them individually. Then store them in a freezer bag and take them out as needed.)
  7. Share with friends and neighbors.

3 comments:

Midnite Skys said...

I need a dehydrator maybe with tax return!!

grammpaula said...

It is so funny that you posted this today. I asked my daughter is she still had her dehydrator earlier today. We used to use it all the time for apples and peppers as I recall. I was wanting to try it again. I have some apples that would taste yummy dried. I'm going to have to try the pineapple.

Areeba said...

thats an awesome idea!!! thanks so much. I never go to the organic isles..need to start checking for these steals.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...