A new way to think of stem cells

This is a Sponsored Post written by me on behalf of CryoCell International. All opinions are 100% mine.


Stem cell research is a hot topic. Nobody wants to think about embryos and babies when they consider medical research, but most people also recognize the potential those precious stem cells hold. I tried (in vain) to get my hospital to donate the cord blood from both of my children's births. I wish they could have been used for their stem cells.

Beyond the umbilical cord, I thought stem cells could only come from embryonic tissue or bone marrow. Fortunately, I was wrong. I read something pretty amazing on the C'elle Blog . Did you know that menstrual blood contains stem cells? Yes, the same stuff we try so hard to get rid of each month has life saving potential.

According to C'elle :
These menstrual stem cells are unique because they have many properties and characteristics similar to both bone marrow and embryonic stem cells; they multiply rapidly and can differentiate into many other types of stem cells such as neural, cardiac, bone, fat, cartilage and possibly others; demonstrating great promise for future use in clinical regenerative medical therapies

Preliminary studies show that these cells could benefit the donor as well as genetically related family members. Wow! This is incredible information! I didn't save my children's cord blood and I'm excited about the possibility of having a life saving option with something as simple (and readily available) as menstrual blood.

I love that people were researching this and have found this information! C'elle's provides an easy to use kit and cryogenic preservation so families can bank these potentially life saving cells. Check out their website. They highlight a lot of the newest studies with stem cells and the information is truly astounding.

If this freaks you out, consider all the amazing things that have been created by "icky" materials. Synthetic estrogen is made from the urine of pregnant mares, insulin is made by splicing human DNA into bacteria, and oh so much more. We can accomplish amazing things if we keep our minds open and always keep searching. I was very happy to hear this news and to learn of the progress in stem cell research. It changes my perspective on stem cell research.
Visit my sponsor: Has C'elle found the stem cell holy grail?

4 comments:

Midnite Skys said...

I have heard this before and thought very cool. Then think maybe they could use menstrual blood to testing disease. You know to stop using animal testing for some things!! EW the cure for cancer maybe. I know just hopeful thinking.

pish said...

I always get a big kick out of reading scientific/medical news. This info just wobbled my mind! Cooool.

Cynthia Beattie Mcgill said...

Hi Angela,
Your post is very interesting. I could have never thought menstrual blood can be so useful. I think I'll search some sites on the internet to find more info.
Love
Cynthia

Bruce Princeton said...

Stem cells are the life givers of human body and their use in the right way will lead to many new discoveries in medical sciences. The research should go on for the betterment of the world community as prevention and cure of many diseases lie in stem cell treatments

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...