Keep your Little Ballerina Warm

Do you have a little ballerina (or gymnast) that's been freezing in little tights or bare legs this winter? I recommend you make her a pair of leggings. I made these for my daughter 3 years ago (when baby legs were all the rage) and they still fit! She wore them as a baby, during gymnastics, and now during dance. She even puts them on her arms when she dresses up. It's so 80's, it's funny.

I bought a few 2 packs of bigger girls (tween age) knee highs at Walmart for $1 per 2 pack. Then I cut the feet off and used a serging sewing machine to make a cuff at the bottom. If you don't have a sewing machine, I think you could use fabric glue to "hem" the bottom. Or just cut the feet off and let them last for one season. If they are used for dance or gymnastics, you probably won't need to worry about washing them very often.

I personally thought the adult size knee-highs were too big and didn't come in as many great colors. I'm guessing that these leg warmers (she has 4 pair) will last until she's 6 or 7. They fit her entire leg as a baby, and have worked wonderfully as leg warmers ever since she started walking. I haven't looked for knee highs lately, but I'm sure they are still under $2-3 at Walmart. If not, Target clearances out their girls section often and they're bound to go on sale.

5 comments:

Staci @ Designing and Motherhood said...

I need to do this! Cute. I hope you make a Barbie Cake. GO FOR IT! Staci

Angie D said...

That looks so cute and easy!

The girl with the flour in her hair said...

These are really cute. What a good idea. We could actually use something like this for my daughter's dance class. I'm going to give it a try! Thanks! :)

Post Grad said...

That's an awesome idea! I shelled out a bigger chunk of money for legwarmers when I was dancing several years ago.

Working Mommy said...

What a wonderful idea!! I think they are very cute - and they grow with her which is even better.

~WM

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...