If you spread it...they will watch (horse manure that is!)

As I've been searching for local organic farms, I came across an organic horse farmer. No...I'm not going to eat organic horses (lol) but this farmer happens to have more manure than he can handle and graciously gives it away in 40lb bags. So I decided it would be a great time to go and get some for our garden.

Yes, it's below zero outside, but I couldn't resist the chance to get out and "do something" in the garden. I was so happy to find out that the horse farm is just a few minutes away from the Organic strawberry farm we visit every summer. As a digression, I just gotta say how much I love this particular strawberry farm. It's so ratty and uncontrolled. At first glance, I was shocked. There were weeds and chipmunks everywhere. But then again, there were strawberries everywhere. They assured me that they never sprayed anything in the strawberries. It was obvious. They don't water them either. They just let them grow, then mow them down and let them grow again. It reminds me of my own "lazy" organic gardening, but it's so, so good. Even the fact that the chipmunks could live and steal freely, while still leaving thousands of berries for customers was great. The berries were wonderful! We bought a flat and ate them ALL on the way home. And they cost the same as the berries in the store. ;) Next summer we are going to get a whole lot more so we can save them throughout the year. And pick up some horse manure across the street.

So I went to the horse farm and climbed the huge mountain of poop to gather some manure for our garden. And they were all frozen. I worked and worked to loosen two 40lb bags of horse manure and lug the frozen $#$# to my car. My kids were in the car in awe at seeing me climb a poop pile and carry it in my arms. LOL

We took it home and I positioned it where I'd like it be this spring. As I was out breaking up the manure, I drew a crowd of onlookers, who were not at all surprised to see what I was doing. I finally lost my fans as I started wrestling with some large junipers that were damaged by our last snow storm. I guess winter damage is less exciting than poop spreading. Next crowd draw: Maple syrup collection.....

4 comments:

Margaret said...

I would love to get fresh strawberry's! They would be so yummy and better for you!

Candi said...

We too are doing a vegetable garden for the 2nd time this year. We are doing the lasagna gardening technique. I wanted to let you know the horse manure has alot of seeds in it and you will most likely have to do a lot of extra weeding. Just be careful. I was going to get some horse manure from a local stable and my dad warned me against it. He suggested composted cow manure would be better. Hope you have good success this year!

Midday Escapades said...

You live the most exciting life, Angela. I'm so jealous of manure. LOL.

Angela said...

Thanks for the advice. I'd heard about the weed seeds, but I weed my garden everyday. :) It's so small and I just love going out and checking on it. It gives me a reason to check it out. Plus, I humanely and organically fight with a few chipmunks out there. lol

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...