If the shoe doesn't fit....

In order to save money on clothes and shoes for our family, I almost always find things a season or two ahead when they are on clearance for 75% or more. I also shop at garage sales and gratefully accept hand-me-downs.

Most of the time this works out great, but sometimes my math is off a bit. This Christmas, my little girl's dress shoes were too big for her. A whole size too big. Since she was only going to wear them for one church service, I didn't go out and buy new shoes.
I stuffed the toes with toilet paper and the magically fit a whole lot better. And next Christmas.....she'll have almost brand new shoes for that one special night. And we will have saved at least $10 and the running to the store. I realize $10 isn't going to make or break us, but all of the little $10 savings add up and enable us to spend money on things we value more.

And in case you're wondering: after they no longer fit, I'll pass on these barely worn shoes (like everything else) to a sister, friend, or charity.

7 comments:

Richele said...

Hey we do what we have to do! Every little bit saved is great. I have four kids so that's four pairs of shoes, four winter coats, four snow boots and so on! I normally buy my oldest daughter boy snow pants so she can pass them onto her brother. lol. She doesn't mind. I just buy plain black and she would choose that anyway.

A Mom After God's Own Heart said...

I love this idea...my girls are only 21 months apart so i usually keep the older one's stuff until the little one can wear and then donate. But I do also buy second hand most of the time, as kids stuff does not usually wear out (especially little kids), and is almost always in great shape!!! Saves me a fortune!!!

welovetucker said...

WHat a great idea, I too, love to find bargains and get things on sale. Thanks for checking out this inventive way to make too big of shoes fit!

check out my blog too
http://stayhomeandplay.blogspot.com

Ruby said...

Thanks for sharing I got little mans sneakers a size bigger too I almost let him wear them like that but looked like a clown the way they folded up maybe ill stuff them and see if that works

Kenda said...

I love hand-me-downs!!! This was a great idea!I have my 3 year old who passes down his clothes to my 2 year old so that works out well!

Midday Escapades said...

Brilliant idea! I should have done this with my boys. Except that my older son now has a shoe fetish for nice tennis shoes. LOL.

Amy said...

I tried to do this with my daughter's shoes once and she kept taking them off and trying to get the t.p. out. She wouldn't wear them.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...