How to modify Tap shoes so kids can put them on by themselves

I'm sure you've seen these before. All the little girls in my daughter's dance class had colorful bows and ties that keep their tap shoes tight without lacing. When I asked around, it turned out they had all paid $15 or more for the special ties to match recital outfits. B-A-R-F!

Okay, I know that makes me sound cheap, but seriously. After looking at a few tap shoes, I realized the special ties were just pony tail holders. Really! So while I was out shopping one day, I popped into Walmart and bought a 3 pack of really colorful pony holders for $3.00 and wallah: my daughter could put on her own tap shoes. Plus she felt super sparkly. I was rooting for pink ones but she wanted the multi-colored bows.

In case you are wondering, Target also has a huge selection of hair ties (all in multiple sets for under $3.) I kept the multi-colored set for my daughter and passed the purple and pink sets off to her dance friends. You could do one better and offer to split the pack with friends and pay only $1 each.

4 comments:

I'm Rebekah said...

I LOVE this idea! Great thinking.

Jessica-MomForHim said...

Do you have a trick for keeping the bows tied on ballet slippers? They are just for show (at this age), but it bugs her when they are untied. I try double knotting them, but they still slip undone. Other ideas?

Angela said...

I bet you could tie and then hot glue them in place. :)

kate said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Lucy

http://toddlergirls.net

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...