Growing Garlic in the Window

This winter, I started some garlic in a small flower pot and set it in a south facing window. And it sprouted! Our winters are pretty low on light, so I'm hoping it will continue to grow and grow. I'm kicking myself for only planting one. lol If we successfully grow indoor garlic, I'll let you know. Our indoor lilly went dormant (as expected) and I'll report if it re-sprouts this spring or not.

Either way, this years garden is going to be an herb extravaganza. Last year I was so impressed with our fresh basil and thyme that I'll be expanding our herb section. This year I'll be adding garlic, cilantro, scallions, and catnip (lol) to the mix. Oregano, parsley chives, thyme, and basil are already in my yearly rotation.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela,

Just curious, what did you plant- the entire garlic bulb or just a clove? Never thought about planting a garlic before...LOL.

Thanks!

Angela said...

I planted just one clove, pointy side up. :)

Michele said...

Ooooh, I love growing a little herb garden in my window!!!

yay you ;)

HeartsMakeFamilies said...

Wow I wish I could do this. I kill everything though.

Working Mommy said...

Oh wow...please do share if this works - I wouldn't mind growing my own garlic!!

~WM

savvy squirrel said...

Great Idea! I never thought about growing garlic! I think I will try it. I just researched growing button mushrooms at home I think I will try my hand at that also. They are expensive in the store it seems affordable to do it at home. Thanks for all the great ideas! I Love your Blog!

The Floppy Cow said...

What a cool idea! There is just something soothing about watching something grow indoors during the winter.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...