Go Green with your Taxes

I received our State Tax return booklet this afternoon and the front page said "Go green with your taxes; file electronically." I thought it was ironic that they had already mailed me a 40 page booklet, but expected me to waste it by filing electronically.

The truth is, I won't file our state taxes electronically. For one, I like to fill out the paperwork. I know that makes me crazy but I love doing it. They've already sent me all the paper I need, and it will cost me one stamp to mail it out. If I file electronically, our state charges $18. So it's either fun with paper plus 44 cents or boring computer time and $18. And I always recycle my paper leftovers.

But for the Federal government, I do file electronically and let me share with you the reasons why. #1 it's free. I know what you're thinking. No, it's only free for certain income brackets. Yep, Nope, it's free for everybody. I've been filing with TaxAct for the last few years and they offer free Federal filing for ALL income brackets.

But it gets better. I have always received any refunds due within days by filing online versus weeks or months by paper. And I'm a freak about taxes. I always have my taxes done and filed before February. I'm already done with ours right now. Okay, I'm joking. But I will be done soon.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike paying taxes as much (or probably more) than the next guy. And believe me when I say we pay our fair share in taxes, but even paying large sums of money to the government doesn't take away from the fun of filing our taxes. I like the systematic organization of it. It's the one part of my life that's highly organized, and I treasure the time I get to spend filling out boxes.

Oh and by the way, I wasn't paid to mention Taxact in anyway. It's just a legitimate place to file your federal taxes for free. Be aware, however, that they will try repeatedly to get you to "upgrade" to one of their premium services and/or state filing. It's so tempting to just hit Yes and have your state filing done at the same time, but for me it's not worth the $18.

Happy number crunching!

3 comments:

Working Mommy said...

I file all of my taxes online...and have for quite some time now. I just like getting everything so quickly. It is nice having that unexpected deposit in your bank account in a week or two!

~WM

Just Playin' said...

I'm an online tax person too but I've been paying at Turbo Tax!!! I get a little kick out of the tax process too, like you. Weird isn't it. I think it feels like you have things under control (at least on the paper) even if you have to pay.

Jessica-MomForHim said...

We've also been using TaxAct for several years, and think it's worth it (for both state and federal). It's definitely cheaper than buying a tax software at the store!

I don't know how you could be almost done--we don't have ANY of our year-end statements in yet. NOT ONE. Usually we don't get them until the end of January.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...