Service Projects for Christmas - Paying it forward

A few years ago, I decided we needed a Christmas project to "pay it forward" and show our children how to give to someone else. A lot of people volunteer at shelters, soup kitchens, or nursing homes, make shoeboxes, or donate to specific charities. My husband's family even runs out to donate blood. All of those are great, but I wanted to do something different (or in addition.)


So we made cat blankets for the humane society. I go through crafty stages and end up with all sorts of leftover fabrics. The blankets pictured are the prototypes we made to experiment with different styles. Our humane society was happy to have the blankets we made. And it made us feel so good to think our scraps were keeping some kitties warm and snug. When I get a chance to get back into my sewing stuff (in the guest room....grrrr) I see more cat blankets in our future.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

That is so cute and such a good idea!

I wish I could sew. My DH bought me a nice sewing machine in February and the only thing I've done so far is learn how to thread it! LOL

Shannon (Coupon Mommy Of 2) said...

I too wish I could sew. I want to learn how to make my own cloth diapers.

Following you from MBC

http://couponmommyof2.blogspot.com/

Midday Escapades said...

This is really neat, Angela! You go girl. I do admire the crafty who can sew. :0)

baludec23 said...

Good post, nice blog. Thnaks for share useful information.

WCatDD said...

That's so thoughtful! I'm sure the kitties really appreciate having something warm and soft to sleep on.

Janet said...

What a great idea! Those are cute.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...