How Wheat Works: Pay it forward to help US Troops

This is a Sponsored Post written by me on behalf of Wheat Food Council. All opinions are 100% mine.

I always love to learn more about where and how our food is grown. I would willingly spend hours reading or visiting museums to learn more about the origins of food. Luckily, you don't have to spend hours to learn detailed information.

Right now, HowWheatWorks.com is hosting an interactive multi-media program to teach people the farm-to-fork process for wheat. I checked it out, and enjoyed following my wheat seeds from the soil to my home. You get to select the type of wheat you want to grow: plant, harvest, mill, bake, and send your product to the store. The whole process takes only a few minutes, but you'll find links to even more information (even recipes) so you can learn as little or as much as you'd like. I love interactive programs like this.

Free education is always good, but this program gets even better. For every participant How Wheat Works will donate two pounds of flour, up to 90,000 pounds, to Operation Homefront, a non-profit that provides assitance to needy U.S. Troops and their families. This donation is made possible by ADM and ConAgra, two of the world's largest millers.

The Wheat Foods Council is providing this information to teach people how a whole or enriched grain food is created and share nutritional information about wheat. I personally learned a lot about the different types of wheat and the growing process. All of this is as interesting and important to me as the nutritional information. It also feels good to know that my few minutes spent learning is helping out a U.S. service family. My father  and my grandfather both served in the armed forces.

There are also games and educational information for kids at the Wheat Foods Council website (wheatfoods.org.) The more children know about where their food comes from, the easier it is for them to make healthier choices too.

Be sure to check out How Wheat Worksto learn more about wheat and help out a family in need.

SocialSpark Disclosure Badge

1 comments:

Danielle said...

Thanks for posting this. My 7 year old just asked me recently if we could grow wheat next year. Now, we have a rather small yard and wheat is not something I am ready to tackle yet. I explained that we would not be planting wheat. She then asked how I can use my bread machine if I do not have wheat. Some where she missed that flour comes from wheat. I can't wait to share this website with her.

The Happy Wife
ldsmom2201 at yahoo dot com

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...